Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Starting my barrel vault

here are a few more pics of the outside if anyone is interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Starting my barrel vault-img_1563.jpg   Starting my barrel vault-img_1564.jpg   Starting my barrel vault-img_1565.jpg  
Old 11-05-2012, 04:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim81147 View Post
here are a few more pics of the outside if anyone is interested.
Great looking oven, and congratulations on the curing fires! I am right there with you at that stage. Also, for every reply, there are at least a hundred others who are very interested in your progress .

Keep your pics and updates coming.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Peasant

Got all the holes filled in the structure so now it was time to insulate . I put in 60 cubic feet of perlite ( 10 bags ) and this gave me , at the minimum insulation point 8 1/2 inches and at the maximum point 11 inches . I think that will work !!
Old 11-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Peasant

Let it snow , I am ready . That was the big push for me to get everything done to the point that it was weatherproof . I can still work on it as time and weather permits ( as you can see it still needs a ton of work ) but I dont have to worry about things getting wet or snowed on now .The roof jack for the chimney is at the fabricators now and should be done tomorrow . Most of the remaining work will probably be done next spring after worry of freezing , but I can start learning how to cook on this contraption soon !!
Attached Thumbnails
Starting my barrel vault-img_1566.jpg   Starting my barrel vault-img_1567.jpg   Starting my barrel vault-img_1568.jpg   Starting my barrel vault-img_1569.jpg  
Old 11-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Very nice and with that much insulation cooking in the winter will be easy. You will be able to cook for a week on one firing.

Great job.

Chip
Old 11-09-2012, 04:13 PM
Peasant

well i have been doing curing fires over the last week . the one today got the back and side walls to 550 , the hearth to 400 and the dome to 750 . so is it time , after the oven cools down , to build a full on scary fire ? What temps should i be looking for? thanks.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim81147 View Post
so is it time , after the oven cools down , to build a full on scary fire ? What temps should i be looking for? thanks.
It sounds like you are good to go - try and melt brick Have you had the oven burn clean yet?

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Peasant

I had a spot about 1 foot in diameter at the center top of the dome burn clean , but that is it . Should i have gotten it hotter?
Old 11-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Jim, I didn't bother with curing. I am fortunate enough to live in an area that in mid-summer, it wouldn't change a thing (I had very little mortar to cure anyways).

If your oven started to clean, go for it next time. Taking your time curing is not a guaranty that you will not get cracks. I do not believe that any one that uses mortar doesn't have some crack(s)

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The only cracks I have are the ones I pre-engineered in the back and front of the oven. I fired my vault the next morning after laying up and every I time worked on it after, since it was cold out.