Old 04-07-2008, 05:25 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Started digging, stopped digging. Water problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaker View Post
I've been going by the plans I downloaded off this site. Here's a cut and paste of the materials list for the Pompeii:
I see what you are referring too. On page 13, the foundation size is listed as 77" x 86". There seems to be a discrepancy. James?
Old 04-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Don't sweat the little stuff. There's a few procedural errors and typos in the plans. Adjust and modify for your needs. Read them, then re-read them. They make sense and you will find the errors. This is not rocket science. Simple math will get you through. If you have a serious question that worries you, ask and you will be answered.

-
Old 04-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Apprentice

Why do they want the oven so far from the house? That is a lot of steps to take pizza fixins, meat or bread back and forth from the prep site. I just want to make sure you think of that.....I know nothing about foundations, etc.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosskraft View Post
Why do they want the oven so far from the house? That is a lot of steps to take pizza fixins, meat or bread back and forth from the prep site. I just want to make sure you think of that...
I must agree.... Closer is
better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 04-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I would agree with the distance, this isn't a firepit where all will be sitting around chit chatting for hours - long way to haul good eats.
Sorry I can't help with the foundation. In FL we can pour a slab right on the ground (over a few inches of gravel or course). I grew up in northern Ohio with a 36" frostline but never experienced water problems nearly as bad as yours; just a minor basement leak or two and never any water issues in building many decks and fences where we had to dig down the 36".

What happened to UNO, our resident concrete/foundation expert? He would certainly have a viable answer.

RT
Old 04-08-2008, 05:28 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosskraft View Post
Why do they want the oven so far from the house?
The owner wants to create another living area in the yard. He has plans for a pergola in the general area also, possibly gardens. I understand how he's imagining it, but I too think it's a mistake to put it so far away. It will limit the use of it after the initial newness wears off.

Maybe the water situation is actually a good thing. Gives us time to rethink.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:33 PM
Serf

Default My death has been greatly exaggerated...

Though I've not been heard from for over a year that doesn't mean I went away. Here's a shot from this weekend. This thing may actually get completed within the next twenty years or so.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks good! How did you decide to do the foundation?

Updated!

Old 06-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Serf

We dug deep....about 22". Filled with trap (?) rock, compacted. Drainage pipe in at about 12" down or so. Rock came up to about ground level.

Then the pour....this was last year, in the fall.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Serf

Seems we're limited to 4 images per post? Here's the fifth:

The slab made it through the winter. I was able to lay the cement blocks without having to do any leveling. Either I placed the form correctly last year, or the gods were kind to me and made the needed adjustments over the past 6 months.