Old 04-13-2008, 09:39 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: Start to Finish

This is a really good thread, so I have move it to Getting Started. I think this can help new builders do a better job of planning.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:40 PM
Apprentice

I want to thank everybody for their input. I find it very encouraging. I am not a mason. It’s all very new to me. I am pretty handy and have done about everything else in my life. I think this is going to be great project and a lot of fun. Just wanted to get a feel for a time frame. I was hoping that it could be completed in time to use this fall. Sounds as though it will be possible.
Thanks again. I hope more members decide to weigh in.

Mannextdoor 5P's
Old 04-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbingham View Post
Another poll, huh? XJ - what have you started???

My answer to 2): 5 1/2 months for the oven, start to finish, many pauses for weather and concrete curing to the point it could be polished. You could probably do the oven in a 6 - 8 weeks or less with good weather, good logistics, and eight hours a day. There's some built in pauses for concrete curing where you can't do a thing.

3) I'm in stall mode on the kitchen. Fixed income, taxes coming, BBQ to buy- I'm hangin' loose for another month till I re-evaluate finances.
I have started a WFO project, with a complete outdoor kitchen. I am in the preperation stage. Clearing out an area to make room. I will start a thread soon and post plenty of pictures. A play by play, Start to Finish.

Mannextdoor
Old 04-13-2008, 08:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

mannextdoor,
The time frame really depends on prior planning and staging of materials, how much money you can afford to throw at the oven at any given time, and how much time you have to work on it. If you had a couple of masons working for you, they could do the whole thing in a couple of weeks.

-
Old 04-14-2008, 12:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannextdoor View Post
I am not a mason. Itís all very new to me. I am pretty handy and have done about everything else in my life.

Sounds to me as if you've got ideal qualifications for this project...
Old 04-25-2008, 04:34 AM
Apprentice

I am beginning to see why it is so hard to predict a time line on this project.
Rain, Rain, Rain.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:58 PM
Apprentice

Start to Finish? I started this thread tiring to get a timeline on how long it takes to build a WFO. Little did I know! I broke ground on May 3rd. Today was our second time this year we had three days in a row without rain. Annual rainfall is 35.5 inches per year. We have had over 28 inches so far. Calling for rain tonight and tomorrow. Timeline. HA. It will get built. God willing.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Apprentice

You have my sympathy with the rain! We had three inches last night, which somehow turned into four inches in our basement. No matter though, we're prepared for water down there now and the disruption is minimal.

It has been soggy this year--but the worst seems to be between you and me, along the Cedar River in eastern Iowa. They've gone past 1993 flashbacks--they're reliving it.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:08 AM
Apprentice

Trying to figure a time line? Start to Finish. Forget it. If you want it, just do it. There is plenty of time. And it will get done when it gets done. A note for the newbie’s that are thinking about doing an oven. Or at least this is how it worked out at our house. If you have the time and money to do an outdoor kitchen. We have the time and money to!
1.) Replace the front porch post.
2.) Change the landscape out front.
3.) Paint the garage.
4.) Change out the garage door.
5.) Upgrade the guest bedroom.
6.) Clean the carpets.
And while we are at it. Since we have the dirt from the oven. We have this low spot that needs to be filled, leveled and seeded.
Well. We have all that done. Plus all the other things that come naturally in the spring. I think the best time to start a project like this in at the beginning of the summer. Not in the spring. Just too much going on. But what my little Lady wants, my little Lady gets. The place does look nice, and my little Lady is Happy. And I’m happy. The secret to a good marriage. As Larry would say. Getter done. Sometime it just takes a little longer.