Old 03-22-2011, 08:57 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: So it begins.. Pics+Questions

I was thinking moreso a steel plate.. but the reason for still doing a cement layer is so i can have a benchtop on it.. or am i just adding weight for no reason at all.

hmm decisions decisions..

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatgirl View Post
In this case, when you say "sheet metal" to me that means steel plate, aka something thick/rigid enough to do the job on it's own, no concrete needed. Pulling a guess out of my hat, I'd use 1/4" thickness or more. Measured by gauge, that would be about a 2.
But if by sheet metal, you mean something flexible or bendable (anywhere from about 14 gauge and higher), then you'll need the concrete, yes. In this case, the sheet metal is mostly just a pan to contain the concrete during the pour and contributes very little to the structural integrity. You could substitute a removable plywood form and achieve close to the same thing. But again, I am not in agreement with the idea of only a 50mm reinforced slab. Everything I've ever done with reinforced concrete and steel that is structural and load bearing has been 4"/100mm of material.

I would do either a 4" reinforced slab OR steel plate as the base. To do a little of both seems like twice the work to achieve a lesser result.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:55 PM
Apprentice

Problem solvered, i will line the bottom with compact laminate.. (13mm LCL) and then do my 100mm vermiculite form.

It will be 2 sheets so it will be 26mm of compact laminate. this should be more than ample to hold it all.

Not sure why i didnt think of this before!
Old 03-23-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
i will line the bottom with compact laminate
Chipboard? Whoa! You REALLY don't want your oven sitting on anything that's going to swell when it gets wet!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:21 AM
Apprentice

Sorry for the confusion.

Compact laminate is what is used in toilet/shower partitions in public toilets.. not sure if its used outside Australia..

Its basically thermosetting resins with cellulous fibers made under huge pressure to make it waterproof/scratch/dent and basically anything proof

i have pics ill upload tomorrow to show the material..

Have cut it all out and tested with 4 poeple standing between the supports, no movement at all.. ill be doing another layer just to be sure.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:53 AM
Journeyman

It sounds like a version of formica, yes dmun?

OK, so yikes. Is this product intended to be load bearing in a horizontal application? I suspect not if it's normally used vertically. What about outdoor use? Just because it doesn't move now doesn't mean it isn't going to do weird things over the course of a few decades exposed to the elements, vs concrete or steel that you know you can depend on.

I think its a REALLY bad idea. Like CRAZY BAD.
good luck.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Apprentice

Someone has to be the guinea pig right?

I used to work for this shower/toilet partition company so have worked with the material before, i have made many outdoor kitchens using the product and some have been in the elements for 5years..

as for load bearing horizontally.. Someone has to be the guinea pig right?

I have faith in it.. time will tell.