Old 07-01-2009, 08:10 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Smaug: A 36" x 16" build.

Drake,

I am actually talking about casting the transition section on the dome-side of the arch and not the vent-side. (Though I very well may end up casting the vent as well). Did you like the refractory product you used? I was hoping to find something that would be the same density as the firebrick. It sounds like yours was lighter-weight.

Thanks for the link on the framing. I am pretty sure I will need to do something just like that.

-David
Old 07-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

As you said, mine was an insulating/lightweight refractory but it is fine for the vent.

It made the transition much easier as there was something (the wall of the vent) to tie into...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"For no good reason, I decided on a hybrid height of 16" for my dome"

Actually for a 36 in oven, that represents 89% of the radius (16/18) which is in the 85 to 90% range recommended for a parabolic pompeii oven.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil2 View Post
"For no good reason, I decided on a hybrid height of 16" for my dome"

Actually for a 36 in oven, that represents 89% of the radius (16/18) which is in the 85 to 90% range recommended for a parabolic pompeii oven.
I think it's more the steep angle of the transition that is at issue, since it appears he's using a soldier course of full bricks on top of his floor, cut to a taper which gives a 6" vertical rise to the walls before beginning the roof curve. This gives him a somewhat lower than average ceiling at 16 inches, but a very sharp angle at the "shoulder" of the soldier course.

Is that accurate, David?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynon767 View Post
This gives him a somewhat lower than average ceiling at 16 inches, but a very sharp angle at the "shoulder" of the soldier course.
Here is a picture of the soldier course. It gives a pretty good view of the angles involved.

-David
Attached Thumbnails
Smaug: A 36" x 16" build.-soldier.jpg  
Old 07-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Apprentice

I am very fortunate that my wife "gets" my WFO obsession.

I have attached a picture of what she designed for me for Father's Day.

-David
Attached Thumbnails
Smaug: A 36" x 16" build.-lego.jpg  
Old 07-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Journeyman

I used KS-4 to cast a dome plug and vent. Very happy with the product, it is very dense, much more than a firebrick. Very easy to work with. If you use it, keep in mind that it is thick, especially when the needles are mixed in. So, you should pack it in around a center plug and then form up the outer walls. I only used 2 walls on the 4 sides of mine.

If I were to build another, I would cast the entire entry arch and vent as well. It took 1/2 a 55 lb bucket to cast my dome plug and the other half for the vent transition. Your best bet would be to cast your vent in one piece, a vent made half way of 2 different materials is inviting failure.

Happy building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
I am actually talking about casting the transition section on the dome-side of the arch and not the vent-side. (Though I very well may end up casting the vent as well). Did you like the refractory product you used? I was hoping to find something that would be the same density as the firebrick.

-David
Old 07-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
I am very fortunate that my wife "gets" my WFO obsession.

I have attached a picture of what she designed for me for Father's Day.

-David

That's Awesome, Great Wife
Old 07-09-2009, 05:58 AM
Apprentice

I decided to fill in the gap between my 5th course and the entry arch with a mixture of diced brick and Refmix. It won't win any pretty contests at this stage, but I think it will stay put.

4 more courses + the plug to go!
Attached Thumbnails
Smaug: A 36" x 16" build.-photo-3.jpg   Smaug: A 36" x 16" build.-photo-2.jpg   Smaug: A 36" x 16" build.-photo.jpg  
Old 07-09-2009, 07:41 AM
Journeyman

Hi David,
I found the arch-dome transition to be one of the hardest things to build. I think it is very unlikely that anyone will ever see it!!

I put my faith in the mortar, for better or worse. I am having bigger and bigger fires now, so it won't be long til I can report on how my 'mortar filled' gaps are doing. I figure at about the time it burns the kreosote off, the temp will have been about 900 deg. for a while and it is safe to say that if the mortar is still there, and solid, that it worked.

I always figured, worst case, I could go back with one of those refractory mortars if need be, fire it up right away, and have a great solution. ( back up plan)

Are you using home brew or heatstop?

Lars.