Old 11-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Should rebar or steel poke thru foundation

Dino - it's pretty straight forward. Mark the forms where you want the re-bar. Screed off the cement, really no need to float it really well because it will not be seen. Stick in some bar and start the block process. Here is a picture of how I approached it. After I dry stacked the block, I dropped in a vertical piece of bar and filled that core with concrete.

Les...
Attached Thumbnails
Should rebar or steel poke thru foundation-les-oven-042.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Master Builder

For what it's worth... I bent "j's" in the ends of 18 inch or so pieces and had figured out where the block holes would rest and after screeding and first float placed the rebar just like I was placing standard "j" bolts in a slab pour. No big deal. Once the slab had cured sufficiently I stacked my block. Placing the block over the pins of rebar which extended from the slab. I then bent rebar into large "u" shapes so that the rebar that tied the walls of the stand and were strengthening the hearth were one continuous piece, that start on the foundation slab, go up and bend over and thru the area where the hearth slab was later poured and then down into the holes on the opposite side. I then infilled the cores, locking the rebar in place. Here's a couple of photos of the slab with the pins and after the cores were filled and I was ready to form up for the hearth pour. If you look close you can see the curved rebar diving into the cores.
Hope this helps,
Wiley
Attached Thumbnails
Should rebar or steel poke thru foundation-slab-poured.jpg   Should rebar or steel poke thru foundation-rebar-cells-poured.jpg  
Old 11-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks to you all for the great answeres! And Wiley, your pics are great. I'll try to tie the oven floor slab in as well.

HERES THE PLAN: Like you all suggested, I'll mark the forms (thanks Les) and slip the "J" bent rebar in the wet cement at the 4 corners and 1-2 places in between. I wasn't sure about tying short pieces of rebar to longer pieces but I see now that is normal when encasing in concrete. I'll fill every other block hole with cement and tie in the oven floor slab too. (My city was the official epicenter of the last big earthquake in the U.S.A. and in the next quake, I may not have water, power or gas but there WILL be pizza!)

I'll be forming my footings this weekend and hope to start a new thread on this site with my build.

Thanks, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 05:51 AM
Apprentice

Wiley, that looks great. Thanks very much for posting those pictures! BTW, on the slab photo, what is the pipe for? (at least it looks like a pipe, not sure)

Travis
Old 11-12-2008, 08:58 AM
Master Builder

Sharp eyes Travis! That is a piece of 1/2" electrical conduit (plastic) for a power outlet that is located just around the corner of the front entrance to the wood storage. I wanted to be able to have lighting inside the firewood storage as well as originally I designed the storage area opening to accomodate a electric proofing box. I have found the proofing box works better if it is closer to the downstairs kitchen.

I'm sort of surprised more people haven't installed some sort of lighting for the wood storage area. Most are building with a single room (essentially a man made cave) and I wouldn't want to run into some of the nasties that live in such places without the benefit of light. I was thinking more of spiders and such like for those who live in AU and rattlesnakes for the Southwest and West of the US. Where I live has fairly benign creatures although the Brown Recluse is not to be taken too lightly.
Wiley
Old 11-12-2008, 09:09 AM
Journeyman

Dino...

If you are at all worried, a horizontal course of binder blocks and rebar is also easily do-able. I ran one right in the middle...again, could be over-kill, but I'm pretty confident that when the next earthquake hits, if we could all squeeze into the oven- it would be the safest place.
Attached Thumbnails
Should rebar or steel poke thru foundation-dsc01284.jpg   Should rebar or steel poke thru foundation-dsc01291.jpg  

See ALL of my pictures here:

Old 11-12-2008, 10:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Brevin, the binder block is a great idea. I saw them at Home Depot when I picked up the regular stuff so I'll run a course in the middle too.

I've checked out your web-album and your oven and kitchen area looks great! While I've got your attention, I've got another question:
-I've noticed your cement mixer in your pix. I'm only pouring for an approx. 6'x6' oven base and I'm looking at about 27 bags of cement. If 2 of us are mixing in the machine and pouring it into the footings and floor, do I have to RUSH to pour the cement so it does not dry while I'm mixing another bag to pour into it? Do I have to worry about it setting up in my footings/slab while I'm doing it or does the mixing in between not take that long?

Also, how's your cooking height? It looks like 4 blocks high and 10" of concrete and insulation then your 2.5" oven floor. Is that right? Seems a good height.

I feel the closer I get to building this the stupider my questions get.

Thanks, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Journeyman

That's really funny Dino. This project has been a lot of "firsts" for me too and thank god we have this forum to ask those questions...I've asked a ton and it's made the build do-able for a complete novice like me.

As for the mixer...you can see, I poured all the various peices in sections. The actual oven foundation was one pour...and no, there wasn't a whole lot of rushing. With two people it worked really well. My dad helped me. He mixed a couple of bags in the mixer and while I was dumping it, he was working on mixing the next couple of bags. The system went really fast. I started dumping the concrete at one end, taking time to jam my shovel into it to break up any air pockets. When I got to the top, I drug a board over it as I went along. Just kept dumping and screeding as I went along filling to the top of the forms. Really easy.

I think you have my height just right. I'm 6' tall and the height is great.

See ALL of my pictures here: