Old 08-22-2013, 06:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Second course angle

Brickie in Oz had a good document on one of the posts regarding butress design. Send him a PM aim sure he will respond.

His real name is Al.

Last edited by mrchipster; 08-22-2013 at 06:35 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyeli View Post

How critical is it for me to buttress the soldiers? I have not seen anyone doing this - perhaps because most people are building higher domes.

You can build the entire dome without the buttress, but you should parge the outer surface of the soldiers first, and then the backs of the dome bricks as you lay each course. A parge (no more is needed than 1/2"), is made of the same material as your building mortar.

As Tscar pointed out, you may not have room for buttressing....this is were a reinforced cladding works well, and it will provide all the necessary support for the soldier course.
There are a few options as to what you use for the reinforcement in the cladding ( a layer about 1") like SS needles, chicken wire, hardware cloth etc...its up to you. But it is a must, as cladding without it is not structural.

Finally, my plan is to use sand to shape the dome. Any thoughts on this would be great.

This is the traditional, easiest and most well known centering ( formwork) used in small dome construction....it's been done for centuries and it is very user friendly.

DM
Hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 08-24-2013, 05:50 AM
Serf

Thanks for your ideas, StoneCutter!

If I decide to reinforce my soldiers with hardware cloth, do I simply mortar it to the soldiers?
Old 08-24-2013, 06:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

After you finish your dome, you can wrap the dome with the reinforcement, and trowel your cladding mix into it.

I wrap a layer around the soldiers first ( parallel with the slab ) and then lay strips over the dome..cut to a width that prevents bunching. I cut it in a way that leaves strands on the edges, and that allows me to connect them together without any trouble. That doesn't work with smaller size hardware cloth, but usually the rolls are bound with a wire you can use if you cut it into small ties.

The cladding mix should not contain aggregate other than course sand... called concrete or "B" sand depending on where you are located.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin