Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 07:23 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Rustic Primitive Materials

Annie,

I wouldn't worry about it or do the additional work, I think all is well.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:07 AM
Master Builder

Annie, My first post on your thread although I have read and followed for some time.

Good looking cat, is that a Maine Coon?

The edge of your insulating layer will be weaker but more important the edge will allow water to enter. The insulating layer will act as a sponge, a band or belt of concrete around the insulating slab would be better. A simple form would make the job easy (chasing members so you do not have to cut wood). Including a piece of rebar would be great and give the belt some resistance to cracking especially in the corners. Lacking rebar you could use barbed wire which might be more easily formed and available.

I would not suggest modifying an oar for a peel unless you have an extra oar from a broken pair. Easy enough to cut a small plank down. Here's a photo of what I mean:
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f11/...html#post74004 (peels for bread. Long handled.)

Your location lists Pacific Northwest. I too live in the Pacific Northwest on the Olympic Peninsula (on the Puget Sound side just south of Port Townsend).
Bests,
Wiley
Old 01-26-2013, 10:59 AM
Apprentice

Wiley,

I had not thought of using concrete around the perlcrete but that may be a good solution for moisture issues... I have a roll of wire fencing around somewhere perhaps that could help reinforce the concrete... I had thought that might be good for the finishing of the dome but it may work for this use also.

Yes he is a Maine Coon... people moved away and just left him behind.. abandoned ... he decided he liked it at my place and I really like having him here... he is a really good mouser!

Next time you go to the beach wave... I am just across the Straight!

Cheers
Old 01-26-2013, 11:27 AM
Apprentice

Default flashing

Any ideas out there for using flashing... I have about 20 feet of left over flashing?

The oars... I am definitely using the oars for bread peels... I started sanding them and they look lovely. Seems like I have a nautical theme going! What nautical has to do with pizza/bread I don't know but I will happily work with what I have... oars were free from the sea!
Old 01-26-2013, 12:53 PM
Master Builder

Sailors, EAT! Will that suffice?
Old 01-26-2013, 09:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Annie
Sorry for any probs with this post I'm using an I phone as the powers off and on at the moment. Where just getting the tail end of a cyclone here that's been down the coast. No worries here were on the lee of a hill higher than any flood and protected from the wind.....anyway.
You said in a previous post that were sorry not to have set you pearlcrete layer in a brick edge. Sorry for the misunderstanding that "plan" was not a diffinitive thing it was a lot of achievable sort of goals ( I thought) because at the time you were stuck firmly in the petty details and was losing the end goal. a working oven. But as a definitive plan its not ,but more a base line you could change at will.
Well you've got that soft pearlcrete edge don't worry about it yet I'm sure it will stand up to the rigors of your building for now. Leave the finish till the end. You could cement it and cover it with another finish. You could brick it now and see what it suits at the end. Or perhaps leave it for now and finish it at the end. Tiles mosaic ? Brick? Lime render ? Polished stone from the beach?
The neighbors arrive to share the storm. They have power but no beer it seems....better break out the chips and dips

Regards Dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:47 PM
Apprentice

Default half baked ideas

No problemo... sailorwise or ovenwise... strange coincidence just as I was reading your post the power went out here... (only for 5 hours only though).

I am moving forward! I will proceed carefully near the edges for now.. when the oven is finished there will indeed be some kind of overall cladding that will take care of all those little problems... including the fact that the dome will look like some kind of toad because I am hand splitting the bricks.

Now... (more half baked ideas ) ... can I use these drain tiles for a 'chimney' if I line them with aluminum dryer venting duct pipe ? It is just that the little clay pots fit exactly and would be useful to regulate air flow.

Annie... making it up as I go!
Attached Thumbnails
Rustic Primitive Materials-chimneyidea.jpg  
Old 01-27-2013, 02:14 PM
Master Builder

Annie,

I really don't think that aluminum dryer vent pipe can withstand the heat from your oven, nor do I think that drain tiles are fired at a high enough temperature to keep them from thermal shock.

Last edited by Laurentius; 01-27-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:30 PM
Apprentice

Yes, I had my suspicions about that... so I'll leave the chimney on the back burner for now.

Tomorrow is another day and there are sure to be oven floor questions... such as... does the firebrick floor pattern really matter? or... can I put the dome on the firebrick floor? or... does it matter if little brickey bits stick out around the edge of the dome? ... lots of exciting questions!

Thanks for your kindness and patience with my 'build'... don't know exactly what else to call it...

Best... Annie
Old 01-27-2013, 10:27 PM
Master Builder

No, the floor pattern is a matter of choice, like everything else concerning your build. The herringbone pattern is popular because your peel doesn't nick the edge of the brick when sliding in your pizza and it looks classy. Dome on or off firebrick hearth, the same. Some think that they might have to replace a brick or two in the future and the effort will be easier. My mom, used to say: "Six in one hand, half a dozen in the other, still adds up to be twelve".