Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Rustic Primitive Materials

Attached Thumbnails
Rustic Primitive Materials-img_3963.jpg  
Old 12-29-2012, 11:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

In all of your pictures, it always looks wet. Is it?
Old 12-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Apprentice

It is definitely wet when I am taking the pictures... I live in the rainforest. However, on dry days I am doing other things... the oven comes to mind on rainy days because that is when I am inside and I can see the beginnings of the oven haunting me from my studio window.

Got the perlcrete slab completed today... hope it sets.

fingers crossed... Annie
Old 12-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Apprentice

Default Perlcrete

This morning the perlcrete is looking a little crumbly around the edges... just wondering how long to leave the forms on. Also, when mixing & making the perlcrete slab it was not really what you would call a 'pour' more like patting in a thick pie crust. I assume that if I have done this incorrectly that I can recycle the crumble and try again... true?

Annie... who cancelled her earthquake insurance so she can build the dome from real firebrick... fingers crossed that this year isn't the 'big one'
Old 12-30-2012, 10:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sounds like you got the consistency pretty close. If it had been a "pour" type of consistency the portland would have settled to the bottom. You might want to cover the slab for a few days to keep it from drying out to fast. That will give it some time to cure. If they are not in your way leave the forms in place as long as possible. A couple of weeks if they are in your way. I removed some bracing from mine after about a week. The actual form was left in place to protect the edges much longer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Gulf,

I've got it all covered and it can sit for a bit... now I am practicing splitting brick with my new mason's chisel.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:57 PM
Apprentice

Happy New Year! So glad to hear that you are forging ahead. Yours is such a unique and all natural build, I look forward to seeing/hearing of your progress. I can't wait to see that gorgeous cast iron door on the front of your oven. I don't know how you plan to use it (it looks so heavy) but it looks just the thing for a "Rustic Primitive" oven.

Good Luck,
AT

Last edited by ATK406; 01-15-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:26 PM
Apprentice

Thanks AT !

I am still slowly moving forward... we had some freezing weather so that slowed things down on the oven project. It was a good week beach combing though I found two paddles that I am sure I can convert to some kind of oven tools

As for the door I am thinking of doing a 2 door setup... the cast iron scene will be the outer door and be hinged somehow so when down it can serve as a landing platform and then the usual inner door to plug the oven opening.

The weather is warming up so this week I will add bricks to support the edge of the insulation slab a little beach sand and then lay out the oven floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Rustic Primitive Materials-img_3976.jpg  
Old 01-16-2013, 03:17 PM
Master Builder

Hi Annie,

Looking good. What size oven will it be?
Old 01-17-2013, 09:11 AM
Apprentice

It will be a humble little 28" oven floor... enough for a nice pizza... but also I have an idea for a 'stone rack' so I can do different kinds of baking on 2 levels.