Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 01:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Rustic Primitive Materials

Of all the stones you could use, I would assume slate to be the best able to take heat and not disintegrate because of it's makeup.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Apprentice

"take the heat" !!!

I am missing something here or I have not explained my intentions accurately... is not the purpose of the insulation layer to ensure there is no heat to take... if the slate is taking so much heat that it might disintegrate then what use is the insulation layer?

My understanding from various posts on the forum is that people were putting their hands on insulated domes and they felt cool to the touch... how hot does a concrete slab under the floor & 4 inch layer of insulation get during firing?

Cheers Annie (creating confusion ! )
Old 12-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Not hot enough to worry about, I was answering it in the abstract.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Apprentice

That's a relief... I was thinking in 'concrete'

Thanks again.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Master Builder

Hi Annie,

My concern was, slate absorb moisture, which can wick up from the base and if heated high enough would crack or break. P/Certe doesn't have the insulating properties of ceramic fiber board, so my question was, should the inches of p/crete be increase for added protection?
Old 12-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Heat shouldn't be a problem below the Pcrete/Vcrete if it is a minimum of 4" thick. But, moisture wicking could be easily stopped by a moisture barrier between the supporting base and the slate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:05 PM
Apprentice

Yikes now wicking issues...

Seems like I have a better chance of flying to the moon on gossamer wings than making the simple humble oven that I had naively envisioned in the beginning.

New plan... I am going to set fire to Alan Scott's book and roast a marshmallow in the flame.

Thanks everyone I now realize this is not for me!!

Cheers, Annie
Old 12-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Please, Don't burn the book. Just put in the library until you finish your oven . A moisture barrier can be just moisture resistant paint, a piece of plastic, or a scrap piece of vynil floor covering placed between your support stand and the hearth.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Your first mistake is the Alan Scott book. God rest his soul, he has been the cause of more ovens being built that are inappropriate for their intended use than anyone in the world.

Burn the book.

Lay some poly down, put down a mortared base, then 4" of perlcrete, then build your oven per FB specs, if not design. It ain't rocket science unless you are building a rocket.
brickie in oz and Laku like this.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie M. View Post
Yikes now wicking issues...

Seems like I have a better chance of flying to the moon on gossamer wings than making the simple humble oven that I had naively envisioned in the beginning.

New plan... I am going to set fire to Alan Scott's book and roast a marshmallow in the flame.

Thanks everyone I now realize this is not for me!!

Cheers, Annie
Gudday Annie
Not a peep out of you for a bit now. I don't think however you have given up on an oven. Exactly the opposite ....you have a stand made....a stack of firebrick purchased.... a stack of information as well. Recon your planning finished and your building now.
Well good on you....Go Girl.
If you read this and you hav'nt broke the link, how about a couple of pics when your finished...no comments or explainations required.... though I recon a simple Yippee!!! would be appropriate.

Regards Dave

My Build

My Door