Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Rustic Primitive Materials

Sounds like you got the consistency pretty close. If it had been a "pour" type of consistency the portland would have settled to the bottom. You might want to cover the slab for a few days to keep it from drying out to fast. That will give it some time to cure. If they are not in your way leave the forms in place as long as possible. A couple of weeks if they are in your way. I removed some bracing from mine after about a week. The actual form was left in place to protect the edges much longer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"There is a snake in the garden."
Old 01-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Apprentice

Happy New Year! So glad to hear that you are forging ahead. Yours is such a unique and all natural build, I look forward to seeing/hearing of your progress. I can't wait to see that gorgeous cast iron door on the front of your oven. I don't know how you plan to use it (it looks so heavy) but it looks just the thing for a "Rustic Primitive" oven.

Good Luck,
AT

Last edited by ATK406; 01-15-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:17 PM
Master Builder

Hi Annie,

Looking good. What size oven will it be?
Old 01-17-2013, 11:15 AM
Master Builder

Be careful, the upper level will be hotter.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie M. View Post
It will be a humble little 28" oven floor... enough for a nice pizza... but also I have an idea for a 'stone rack' so I can do different kinds of baking on 2 levels.
My oven is also small (21") so I tried cooking bread on two levels, using a metal rack for a second level. It simply didn't work. The upper level bread shielded the bread on the bottom. Remember that a WFO works by radiating heat unlike a conventional convection oven. By all means give it a go, but I won't be surprised if you end up with the same disappointing results that I got. If you use a refractory shelf it might work better, but firing up with it in place may be problematic.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ann,
Been following your build from day one. Those oars might good bread peels. I think Tu made some long and narrow peels for bread. Here is a link to Tu's bread peels he made. Looks like the oars can work perfect.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/40...tml#post140559 (40" WFO in the New Orleans)

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 01-25-2013 at 07:18 AM. Reason: typo and link to Tu's bread peel
Old 01-25-2013, 05:32 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie M. View Post
Just wondering though... has anyone ever used the lava rock under their oven? I have an offer of a few big bags of the small rock for free if I wish to use it... any experience/ideas about this?
We didn't get an answer on this

Im assuming its got trapped air in it and it wont melt that it would work as insulation
Old 01-25-2013, 07:16 AM
Master Builder

I used lava rock. We call it scoria, it's the reddish brownish aerated rock. I found an academic paper that said a mix of 3 parts scoria as large aggregate, 2 parts sand and one part portland cement had enough insulating properties to properly qualify as an insulating concrete. I reckon the mix I used had a thermal conductivity of about 0.25 W m-1 K-1. The paper gives all the mix components by weight, I had a lash at working that back to volumes based on bulk densities, and decided 3 parts scoria, weighed a bit less than 2 parts sand, and I part cement weighed a bit more than 3 parts scoria and nearly as much as 2 parts sand, so I reckoned I'd end up with mix B1 in the attached paper.
Not as good as vermicrete, but way better than ordinary concrete.
That mix has an MPa of over 20. That is over 3000 PSI, well and truly strong enough for a slab to hold up an oven.
I stood my sailor course of bricks straight on this slab. I put a 2 inch layer of vermicrete inside the ring of bricks, then put my floor bricks on that.
So my floor bricks sit on 5 inches of insulation, my dome sits on 3 inches of insulation.
And yes, it is full of holes even after you mix it into concrete. The second photo some aggregate I took out of my cement mixer and broke open to see whether the sand and cement paste had clogged the pores of the volcanic rock. the answer is no.
Attached Thumbnails
Rustic Primitive Materials-scoria.jpg   Rustic Primitive Materials-scoriacrete.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf scoria.pdf (173.9 KB, 1256 views)

Last edited by wotavidone; 01-25-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:47 PM
Master Builder

Hi Annie,

If you mean, starting the oven wall outside of the perlcrete layer, that is the same as having no insulation! The heat from the oven will sink into the stone structure, its suggested that you expand your perlcrete, so that your walls are insulated. Excuse me if I misread your meaning.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:23 PM
Master Builder

Annie,

I wouldn't worry about it or do the additional work, I think all is well.