Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 06:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Rustic Primitive Materials

Gudday Annie
Sorry but I do have labour on the point of insulation. Sand is not an insulator. . Your little domestic oven has little mass so not much wood is needed to keep the temperature but let that fire go out and it cools rapidly.
With a wood fired like your planning to build has a larger mass but once that mass is heated And is insulated from its surounds it keeps its heat for days.
Days for you to cook with.
Dont insulate and you'll be shovelling in wood and heating up the stand and the surounds. Stop shovelling wood the heat will still be going into the stand and your oven will cool rapidly.
You might have heaps a wood avaliable but it has to be sourced, transported, cut and shovelled into your oven. That alone is a burden, better time is spent cooking.
Pearlite is cheap sourced from local garden suppliers/ hydroponics supppliers etc. Mix with cement at 1- 5 it will insulate you hearth. Mixed 10-1 will insulate the dome.
Again sorry for labouring on this point....but you'll spend as much effort and time building a poor oven as a good one so you may as well get insulation right the first time.

Regards Dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Exactly. An appropriate thermal mass isolated from the environment and insulated to the maximum extent allowed by space and finance. Efficient and easy to use, as well as being extremely environmental friendly. Doing it right costs less than redoing it.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Apprentice

Guess I was a little premature with the Yippee...

I also guess it is not possible to put the perlite mix on a bed of sand... I assume it needs the concrete slab for support.

It is going to take some time for me to get all these supplies... update in the New Year!!

Cheers & Thanks

Annie (who will have an oven... eventually!)
Old 12-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You don't need much, a typical oven is only going to exert a dozen or so PSI on the slab, so it can be thin and uncomplicated, but you need an inflexible base for the oven itself. The slab will float on the insulation on the base, and any movement will be absorbed by it, not your oven.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
You don't need much, a typical oven is only going to exert a dozen or so PSI on the slab, so it can be thin and uncomplicated, but you need an inflexible base for the oven itself. The slab will float on the insulation on the base, and any movement will be absorbed by it, not your oven.
Insulation on slab, right? Fingers faster than brain or the other way around?
Old 12-02-2012, 06:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes, you are right.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Apprentice

Just wondering if this could work...

Sand layer/slate layer/insulation-crete/firebrick floor

Slate... I have plenty... all I would have to do is slop a little mortar here and there and it would be a slate slab instead of a concrete slab. I assume that the leveling is only critical on the upper surface of the insulation-crete where the firebricks are placed on a wee bit of sand.

I am also assuming that many are using a concrete slab because they do not have a rock solid base in place like I do.

Cheers, Annie (fingers crossed)
Old 12-02-2012, 08:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Could you do 2 layers of slate and not lap the joints?
Old 12-02-2012, 09:09 AM
Apprentice

I believe I have enough slate to do that... the long piece on top in the photo is 28 inches long just to give a sense of scale.

If I can do this I can get started on that tomorrow as I will only need to travel to the village for a bag of mortar that I can transport in my little car.... I can ready the sand bed today.

Cheers Annie ( hoping I'm back to yippee ! )
Attached Thumbnails
Rustic Primitive Materials-img_3954.jpg  
Old 12-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Could you do 2 layers of slate and not lap the joints?
Would you recommend a thicker than normal layer of p/vcrete to protect the slate from the heat?