Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 09:02 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Rustic Primitive Materials

I am laughing to my sweet self because this whole thing started because my electric stove died, poor darling... it sounded like a gun went off in the kitchen... maybe someone shot it, I am still not sure what actually happened but it is definitely dead. I thought it would be a simple thing to build a little rustic outdoor oven and I would be happily munching pizza in no time!

This has turned out to to be the equivalent of me thinking that if the car broke down I could just build a new one by hammering away at a giant ball of tin foil with a high heel in the driveway.

However, now that I see the potential of these ovens when finessed with skillful design and proper materials I absolutely must find a way to make mine happen. All of the incredible food that everyone is making... I want in!!

With a little creativity and a fully researched design I am sure I can bring this to completion... I just have to do the mountain/teaspoon thing and not be in such a rush.

Cob is not really an option for me I am truly convinced that it must be brick to get the really fabulous pizzas and breads.

Back to the drawing board... will check back with a new plan!

Annie... still dreaming of pizza heaven!
Old 10-26-2012, 09:23 PM
Master Builder

Annie, once its up and running, you will forget about pizza, you'll be thinking, breads, stews, casseroles, bake potatoes, dried tomato, baked hams, candied yam and sometimes peanut butter and jam-----------pizza. Dream on, make your dream come true.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:47 AM
Master Builder

Annie, If cob is all the rage in your area, get the gang around and have a cob oven building weekend. From what I've heard and read, a cob oven can materialise that quickly.
Then you will have somewhere to cook, while you get organised to build a flash whacko fully insulated brick oven.

I was hoping that the more experienced oven builders on the forum might have added their opinons about the floor thickness by now. Don't make your decision just on my comments, please.
Regards,
Mick
Old 10-27-2012, 07:10 AM
Apprentice

Mick... I am making all my decisions based on your comment and if my oven doesn't work it will be all your fault!!

Cheers Annie... taking responsibility for all my decisions!
Old 10-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think one layer of bricks for the floor is plenty, especially if you also intend to use the steel plate under it. Two layers will take ages to get to temp. Can't be sure about the steel buckling from the heat, but I would think that because it is not getting direct flame impingement and the heat source is further away, it should be ok. I have seen plenty of 1/4" barbeque plates that have buckled, but I don't think a 1/2" one moves a bit. I've never heard of anyone trying a steel plate under the floor before so can't be sure how it would work, but an old Italian trick to increase thermal mass to extend cooking time, for certain cooking applications, was to throw in a couple of truck axles. This would reduce cooking area drastically of course, a problem your idea overcomes.

Last edited by david s; 10-27-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Apprentice

I like the wheel axel story... now I don't feel so intimidated.

I have attached two photos of the underside of the cast iron plate... it is just over 1/2 inch thick at the thinest parts (it is the cutting bed from an old industrial paper cutter). The reason I first thought of it is the shape the curve is where the back of the dome would sit... the piece is just over 3x5 feet and the other side is flat & smooth. I actually thought the split in the middle of it would help with contraction and expansion issues... also then it will be out of sight and I won't have to look at it anymore... it's quite ugly.

If I am dead wrong tell me now... it will take 4 men to lift this thing and put it in position.

So I guess the question is... can I use it with insulation board under it and then put the oven floor right on the plate. If the consensus is that one layer of brick is fine for the floor then that is what I shall do also.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Rustic Primitive Materials-img_3902.jpg   Rustic Primitive Materials-img_3903.jpg  
Old 10-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think you will be sorry if you put that scrap iron under the floor, it will move and twist from the heat, its already cracked.
One layer of brick is fine unless you are building a bake house.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Apprentice

Perfect... thanks!

I'll keep it simple then... insulation board/one layer of brick/delicious food on top
brickie in oz likes this.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Apprentice

Default I am sooooo stubborn!

OK... A little background... I live in a coastal rural area on a small acreage, most of us heat with wood, myself included... I have a limitless supply of clean sweet wood... I am lucky I can keep my oven firing 24/7 if I so desire.

Last night I went visiting and guess what contained a happy little fire in the corner... a cast iron stove! It had been providing beautiful heat for many years.

I can't let go of the idea of using the cast iron slab for something... soooooo... I am thinking of getting it up off the ground on a rock base and putting an open fire pit underneath ... I could make some seriously big breakfast!

I am still going with the proven and simple with the oven... I can get creative later.

Just wondering though... has anyone ever used the lava rock under their oven? I have an offer of a few big bags of the small rock for free if I wish to use it... any experience/ideas about this?

Annie... who has managed to capture wild yeast!!!
Old 10-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Apprentice

Cut down the cast iron for the oven door, and then use the rest to build a brazier near the oven for grilling.