Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2014, 01:57 PM
Apprentice

Default Zoe gets her very own thread!

Glad you enjoyed the demo!!

Now get yourself a new thread started and drag these photos & questions over there... you will get more input that way... this thread is pretty old and stale!!
Old 02-28-2014, 06:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Rustic Primitive Materials

Gudday Zoe
Annie's oven is rustic but at its heart, its built right, because Annie's made some good decisions, and considered the advice she was given
Annie's has used brick ( not slate or cast like she started with)
Annie's used fireproof cement mix.
And probably the most important, Annie has insulated her oven both under and over.
The $7 a firebrick has an "ouch" factor. I paid $3.30 ea and that made it the major cost in mine.
You have some firebrick already which is great you can use it for the oven hearth, the floor, it will be strong and robust.
I left a link to a NZ oven in your thread in it the builder uses Pressed Clay Pavers. There is quite a discussion on brick commons and what is suitable. I would use the pavers myself if I needed to as they are quite dense and uniform. Brick commons can vary a lot and its hard to pick what is suitable.
Brick commons have there use thought and I have used them outside the shell of my own oven for entrance chimney and external clading.
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:52 PM
Apprentice

OK... looks like it is happening here not there.

Zoe... the reason my build was dirt cheap was because...
old red bricks were used for the vault, I made my own mortar using clay I dug out of a beach cliff, perlite was from a wholesale nursery supplier, I got a builders discount for some of the new materials, my base is made of rocks.

Also, my build does not have many of the features that most ovens do... no chimney... no vent... no foundation slab... no ceramic blanket... these are compromises I made for the sake of simplicity and cost... I don't notice a difference because this is the only WFO I have ever used... but it serves my purpose... today I baked a dozen loaves of bread, 1 pizza, and a bunch of little casserole stuff.. right now (7pm) my oven is at 450F ... at 10am it was at 650... so I am loosing heat at a faster rate than most... but I am only doing small bakes so I am happy with that.... simple ovens work if you have simple needs.

Last edited by Annie M.; 02-28-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:03 PM
Peasant

Red face Re: Rustic Primitive Materials

Hi Dave and Annie,
Thanks fo much for your helpful replies.
I've got pretty simple needs too, Annie, and a modest budget too!
Dave, thanks for the link to Bevan's build, I've been in contact with him and his pavers are going well, so that sounds good.
I think I'm a little overwhelmed by all the amazing builds and info on this forum...need to just start now, and stop thinking so much!
Tootlepip,
Zoe.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:03 PM
Journeyman

Hi Annie,
I have been viewing your thread for a while because I was short of materials and I was impressed by building with what is available. I have just one question. Is the picture below the final of your project? I mean I can't see any insulation for the dome.
Rustic Primitive Materials-img_4014.jpg
Old 03-10-2014, 07:23 AM
Apprentice

No, that is not the final configuration... another arch was added to the vault... the running rows of brick turned the corner at the front & a brick arch was built beneath the last vault arch to lower the entrance to the appropriate dimensions. Perlcrete insulation (10/1) covers the entire oven for insulation (3-4 inches). I guess I should borrow a little digi camera and get a shot of the finished oven... don't want to create more confusion.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Apprentice

Annie,
Hi, I have been following your build. Recent pics of your build would be great if you can get them posted.
jon
Old 05-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Apprentice

Soon the oven may be no more... we will never know... but she was beautiful while I had her and I wish to thank all of you for your kindness, generosity and wise advice!!

I am leaving my property with the little cedar house by the sea and the oven must stay behind... but now I know how to build a primitive oven... and there will be another some day... & I still have some of Russell's seeds so there will be tomatoes too!!

So off I go to meet my future!

Hoping your ovens always burn bright... Annie
Old 05-02-2014, 08:17 PM
Master Builder

Fare thee well Annie. I hope your future is as bright as the ovens glow.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 05-02-2014, 08:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Leaving your home and oven by the sea doesn't mean you have to leave us,................ does it .