Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 02:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Rustic Primitive Materials

Gudday Annie
Of course I read your apple galette recipe, and was interested to hear you have yourself an oven door. And not just any door a really " old school" door. 3 ins Douglas fir held in place with bricks.
I build one out of wood just a packing crate really just to see how it would work. The excepted thinking was that it would burn, so I was surprised to find that it survived . As the door was soaked in water the oven was pleasantly steamy next morning. I didn't cook anything I should have.
So I'm interested to hear how you constructed it. Perhaps I should have taken my experiment further and done a little baking.
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:18 AM
Apprentice

My door... Let's call him Doug!

Doug is just 2 pieces of rough milled fir cut (with a chainsaw) to match the opening of the oven. The pieces meet vertically in the middle... like an open book.

Here is how it works. When I spread the coals after the fire... and I should add here that my square oven draws air beautifully and burns an amazingly efficient fire that licks the vault like a big tongued dog!

OK... after the coals are spread I place a row of 4 soldier bricks with a lintel of one at the entrance flush with the arch masonry... then Doug who has been soaking for hours is stuffed in tight. There is a shelf where the base of the door rests... so when the door is pulled all I have to do is tip the 4 bricks and they can act as a landing platform as they are then flush with the oven floor. For the bake the bricks are tipped back in place & Doug is snugged in.

The reason all this works for me is that no construction was involved... the bricks protect the door from burning... except for 2 little spots near Doug's ears where there is a gap in the bricks.. and best of all when I want to check temp or have a peek during the bake I just pull half the door and monitor through the little gap beside the lintel brick... very little heat loss. Sounds finicky but it actually quite simple... it now takes 4 hours for my oven to come down to bread temp... the first time Doug and I hooked up I was baking under the stars... a first for me... so I had to adapt my fire start time etc... but I am still learning about my little oven.

The galette is lovely with peaches too!
Old 02-01-2014, 02:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks like you and Doug are a pair. I won't use the "S"crounge word but it is nice to see all the innovative ideas you have come up with the resources you have available.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 02-01-2014, 09:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Annie
That door is truly in the best traditions of "bush constructions" and fits the two simple rules
1. Use all and everything available regardless of its intended purpose
2. If it works, it isn't broke and doesn't require fixing.
2(a) if it doesn't work blame Russel

Regards dave

I was a bit disappointed that the door wasn't just wood bare to the heat but impressed to hear of the bricks used as a heat shield and the wood the insulation!

My Build

My Door

Old 02-21-2014, 02:23 PM
Serf

Smile Re: Rustic Primitive Materials

Hi Annie and Everyone,
I've read this thread from start to finish in one very inspirational sitting! I'm at the early stages of planning my oven, and like Annie was, am a total masonry novice. Thanks so much for sharing all your trials, tribulations and successes.
Cheers!
Zoe.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:25 AM
Apprentice

Zoe you can do it... you will build a wonderful oven and the splendid people of the forum will help you!! Start a thread for your build like I did here and they will share their knowledge and encouragement with you like they did for me!!
Old 02-27-2014, 02:13 PM
Serf

Hey Annie,
I was wondering if you could please post a photo of the front of your completed oven? I'm trying to figure out how to build the front opening/door of mine, and could use some advice!
Also, did you find the way you constructed your arches (one at a time, rather than half-bonded) to be a good thing in the long run?
One more thing, did you use any ceramic blanket insulation over the top, or just the perlcrete?
Thanks so much,
Zoe
(still in the planning stages.....)
Old 02-27-2014, 03:44 PM
Apprentice

Zoe!

I think many here will agree with me when I say (in the kindest and gentlest way possible) don't do anything I did on my build! My oven may last for some time or it could be collapsing at this very moment.

I have had absolutely no problems it has only brought me delight & beautiful food... I think it is like a bumble bee... technically it shouldn't fly but it does... but who knows for how long.

I think you will best be served if you start a thread in this forum (Getting Started) and post your sketches and ideas... there are very knowledgeable people here who will help you!

.... just used perlcrete... 10/1 ...the front of mine is just the barrel with another brick arch run under the front edge to bring the opening down to proportion... I formed the outer arch out of perlcrete so that is where the door plugs in and abuts the lower arch... but again I have to say... my oven is standing only by optimism not any laws of physics!!!
Old 02-28-2014, 08:21 AM
Apprentice

Default Zoe Uses Her Imagination!

I just had an idea to demonstrate how the opening of my oven works (the camera died so I have to use my webcam that is why I cannot show you the oven... use your imagination... imagine the center of the roll is the bricks (first image) and the paper is the perlcrete...the opening is just like that and the door butts on the bricks and snugs into the perlcrete arch(image 2)... that's all I got. Now Zoe lets see some plans!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Rustic Primitive Materials-roll1.jpg   Rustic Primitive Materials-roll2.jpg  
Old 02-28-2014, 12:17 PM
Serf

Wink Re: Rustic Primitive Materials

Hehehe! Thanks for the belly laugh, Annie! I love that conceptual use of...was it a loo roll? Still, I GET IT! And what a great use of the perlcrete! Nice.
I was up to midnight last night planning and plotting and doing the figures...I could be wrong, but to build my oven, it's going to cost over $800! Crikey. I am now on the "scrounge" for some alternative to real firebricks....they cost about $7 each here in NZ. Here are some pics:
My plan of the front of the oven (a little arch within a bigger outer arch), and the site with the firebricks I've found so far, and the lovely cast iron door I would love to use as an outer door.
I wonder if I should get just normal bricks to go under the outer walls of the oven, surely those don't need to be firebricks too? Did you use firebricks for your dome? There seems to be quite a few people on this forum who have used old house bricks for their ovens with no complaints. Hmmmm....pondering.
Zoe.
PS I actually find the shape of your oven aesthetically pleasing, Annie! I know it's not flash or engineered to last forever, but it's lovely!
Attached Thumbnails
Rustic Primitive Materials-dsc01856.jpg   Rustic Primitive Materials-dsc01860.jpg   Rustic Primitive Materials-dsc01862.jpg