Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 09:56 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Rustic Primitive Materials

I just remembered I have a web cam... 2 hairline cracks in the mortar this morning vault 1/2 cleared... it was a biscuit day again... had Naan for breakfast ...the blueberry muffins are still basking in the oven.

Cheers, Annie (scrounger extraordinaire)
Attached Thumbnails
Rustic Primitive Materials-biscuits-.jpg  
Old 07-19-2013, 10:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice looking biscuits Annie, a little butter and jam and you're are in heaven. Wow, "scrounger" generated some nice light hearted commentary. Even Brickie wrote one of the longest responses I have ever seen from him
brickie in oz likes this.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Apprentice

Default Scrounging is good!

Wait until I post my 'tools'... right now I am using a 6 iron for adjusting fire architecture ... coupled with a pitching wedge you can place wood in a burning fire very precisely with no sparks!

My baguette peel will be tested next week... it is a dingy oar. Right now I am planning my door made of cat food tins stuffed with crinkled tin foil. Never knew this side of me existed until the oven came along!
Old 07-19-2013, 08:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Even Brickie wrote one of the longest responses I have ever seen from him
Id be happy to just blink my eye lids to communicate if I could....

Old 08-12-2013, 02:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Question Re: Rustic Primitive Materials

Gudday Annie
Just asking... How's the tool and door construction going?
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 09-19-2013, 02:17 PM
Apprentice

Default Sicks & Stones

I am finally baking again today so here I am!!

Still do not have a permanent door or tools... using sticks and stones... still hanging by a thread and flying through life by the seat of my pants.

Had some excitement when I was mixing the stucco and got lime in my eyes... got to ride in the ambulance and got a free eye checkup... I was lucky my eyes are fine. Wear your safety goggles people!!!

Also, they discovered an old (early 1900's) rock oven up in the hills near me just a few weeks ago, I am planning to go and look at it... the oven floor is supposedly 10 feet across... igloo style built without mortar... now that is rustic primitive!!
Old 09-19-2013, 02:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Annie
How's the baking going ? Has the WFO been a good replacement for inside oven yet
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 09-19-2013, 02:41 PM
Apprentice

The baking is going great!!

I am doing breads... even tried the no knead breads ... big bread sticks with fillings are one of my favourite things to bake... today I did a full on Mexican lunch that was amazing... terra cotta baking dishes really perform in the WFO.

I am also drying a lot of herbs & teas on the second day... these dry down gorgeously and keep so much of their colour... also I am making sea salt (doing the final drying in my oven).

I love my oven!! If it could walk the beach with me we would be dating!!
cobblerdave likes this.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Annie,
Lime in the eyes , That must have been very painful. Glad to hear that you are ok, and hopefully all of us will take your advice.

That newly discovered oven must have been a community oven. Please take pics to share on here when you go to see it.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:10 PM
Apprentice

here is a link to the story in the Colonist...

Century-old oven in Sooke Hills a red-hot find - Local - Times Colonist

I'm going in!!