Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 08:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Rustic Primitive Materials

I am pretty thicked skinned but you guys and gals are starting to give me a complex now.............

Like Mr. C. says if you can make hibachi door fit and seal then you are golden. Looks like you are a good scrounger.

Annie, how about some pics of your bakings?

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:14 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Looks like you are a good scrounger.
Yikes... I sure hope this is a cultural misunderstanding... where I come from this is an insult. A scrounge is a trickster and a devious thief.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie M. View Post
Yikes... I sure hope this is a cultural misunderstanding... where I come from this is an insult. A scrounge is a trickster and a devious thief.
It is definitely not used as an insult around these parts. Around here it is loosely used to describe someone who repurposes items that most would not think had any real value. Russell meant it as a nice compliment .

Old 07-18-2013, 07:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I am a big time scrounger. I will store stuff in my yard for years before I use it. Basically my whole outdoor kitchen was scrounged, the red brick were stored as a dry laid garden wall for 5+ years.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:14 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
It is definitely not used as an insult around these parts. Around here it is loosely used to describe someone who repurposes items that most would not think had any real value. Russell meant it as a nice compliment .
Annie, I'll second what Gulf just posted. That was the broadly the only usage I was aware of. I googled the term and was surprised that it carried a negative connotation and the derivation comes from a word that meant steel.

scrounge - definition of scrounge by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 07-18-2013, 07:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

LOL Annie, "you can blame me", it was a compliment!
Gulf likes this.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 07-18-2013, 08:24 AM
Apprentice

I am laughing to my sweet self .... I like to call it 'being creative' but scrounging is fine with me too, now that I know what you meant.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Annie
'Creative Scrounger' has a better ring to it. The term scrounger is a positive one in Aussie as well never viewed as bad ... Just naughty.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 07-18-2013, 04:34 PM
Master Builder

Like many other things, context has a bit to do with it. In these days of awareness of the value of resources I hope we see a proliferation of 'Creative Scroungers' who, I hasten to add, are only distantly associated with 'Artful Dodgers" but more closely aligned with "Purposeful Relocators".
Some of the waste that happens is nearly criminal.
cobblerdave, Gulf and Bec1208 like this.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 07-18-2013, 10:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
Like many other things, context has a bit to do with it. In these days of awareness of the value of resources I hope we see a proliferation of 'Creative Scroungers' who, I hasten to add, are only distantly associated with 'Artful Dodgers" but more closely aligned with "Purposeful Relocators".
Some of the waste that happens is nearly criminal.
After the Black Saturday bushfires went through here in 2009 I helped out by taking supplies up the mountain to a relief centre, this particular relief centre was bypassed by most helpers.

One of the organizers was at her wits end trying to get supplies (boots, socks, clothes etc), I asked her what she needed as being a long term local I knew a few people and how to get stuff.

She asked for my phone number and wrote it on a white board, she then asked for my name, Fagen was the reply, what ever you want I can get (can openers were the most wanted item for a while).

The name Fagen stayed there for ages and when anyone rang for help they always asked for Fagen......

Scrounging is good, its in the blood.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 07-18-2013 at 10:29 PM.