Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 07:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Rustic Primitive Materials

Gudday Annie

Rustic Primitive Materials-doors-003.jpg

I could think of many reasons for that thing not to work but it did a number of times! for a friend of mine. I'm sure you can do better

Regards Dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Italian ovens traditionally had wooden doors for baking and roasting. As well as soaking the door in a bucket they would seal around the sides of the door with wet newspaper.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Lot's of ways to skin the cat and I think you have enough local resources/materials to find something that works for you. Like Gulf say, you can always blame me........LOL. Congrats on the first baking.
Gulf likes this.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 07-16-2013, 06:49 AM
Apprentice

Default La Divina

These ovens are wonderful...

I am amazed at how little fuel it takes to heat my oven... for curing I am just building stick fires from last years branch windfalls... spruce, alder and hemlock... not using cedar, it's too sparky.

The fire burns beautifully only smoking at startup then she can draw like Michelangelo!! If I had build her a throat she would be singing Casta Diva... (I am pretty sure she is a soprano).

I did not fire yesterday but the oven bricks were still warm to the touch this morning... she is a real Scrooge with heat.

Yippee!!

Now... what will I bake today????
Old 07-16-2013, 01:13 PM
Apprentice

Default Today's Bake!!

Today the vault ceiling cleared an area about the size of a dinner plate so I knocked down the fire put up my 'leaner door' let the oven rest and baked buttermilk biscuits ... they were perfect!!

Traded two dozen biscuits for two wheel barrows of dry red oak which should be good for the first pizzas and traded another dozen biscuits for some muffin & quiche pans... guess muffins & quiche are my next bake.

These ovens are amazing!!!
cobblerdave likes this.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Talking Re: Rustic Primitive Materials

Gudday Annie
Happy that you enjoy your oven. Yippee! ( hope that didnt sound funny with the Aussie accent ) Noticed pizza has not been a priority. Originally pizza was the flat test bread that the bakers would make for themselves in a oven waiting to equalize and cool.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 07-16-2013, 02:03 PM
Apprentice

I am still in the curing process so I have not got up to pizza temps yet... that is why I knocked down todays fire she may not be ready for the really high temps... not even a hairline crack in the mortar... so I am being cautious.

Next week pizza.... Yippee!!!
Old 07-17-2013, 07:34 AM
Apprentice

Default Hibachi Door

Just wondering... if anyone has ever seen an old hibachi converted into an oven door... just wondering
Old 07-17-2013, 07:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Hibachi Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie M. View Post
Just wondering... if anyone has ever seen an old hibachi converted into an oven door... just wondering
If it fits and you can encapsulate some insulation into it, It's a door... it is also great to hear that you are cooking.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Lot's of ways to skin the cat and I think you have enough local resources/materials to find something that works for you. Like Gulf say, you can always blame me........LOL. Congrats on the first baking.
It is now Official.... Any thing that goes wrong on an oven build, "We blame Russell!!!"