Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 12:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Rustic Primitive Materials

One hour 15 mins later. The gravy made from the pan juices has a beautiful slight smoky flavour.As the pic shows, the meat is falling off the bone.
Attached Thumbnails
Rustic Primitive Materials-p1010186.jpg  

Last edited by david s; 07-13-2013 at 02:11 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:14 AM
Apprentice

Default Rustic Primitive Photo

The batteries in the little camera are dead but I managed to squeeze out a rustic primitive photo of this morning's curing fire... probably would have done better with a box of crayons.

Probably for the best as the oven is still unclad... as you may be able to tell there is no chimney... I wanted to see if it would work without one and it works great so far... have to push on with it, I already have people that want to buy bread.

I'll let you know what I come up with for a door and post a photo... I go to town next week and can pick up a few batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Rustic Primitive Materials-img_4021.jpg  
Old 07-13-2013, 06:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Rustic Primitive Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie M. View Post
probably would have done better with a box of crayons.
Yeah crayons burn well.......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
One hour 15 mins later. The gravy made from the pan juices has a beautiful slight smoky flavour.As the pic shows, the meat is falling off the bone.
Those look great!

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 07-13-2013, 07:33 AM
Apprentice

Thanks for the inspiration David!

I just did my first bake... an apple!! Put in a little clay pot with walnuts, cinnamon honey and butter... a humble start but it is the satisfaction of success that tastes the best!

Even though this is the curing fire I think I might try a few bread sticks... oven at 400 should be hot enough and I will just lean a piece of steel at the opening.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Annie,

BEC1208 aka Bruce made a door from an old aluminum baking pan. Probably find one a thrift store and fill interior with vcrete like you clad your oven with. Look at his thread.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 07-13-2013, 05:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Annie,

BEC1208 aka Bruce made a door from an old aluminum baking pan. Probably find one a thrift store and fill interior with vcrete like you clad your oven with. Look at his thread.
Russell,
I had to go back and look at that one myself. It got me to thinking about a foil roasting pan. The disposable type turkey or large square rectangle pans. I just thought I would add a little slant to a great idea.

Annie M.
If you can't find something similar to that Bruce's Door was made or don't have the tools to work the thicker aluminum there may be another alternative. I think that a temporary door could easily be fashioned from a couple of these disposable pans. The material is thin and can easily be worked without tools. Stuff it with vcrete like Russell mentioned or pack with crumpled aluminum foil.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:32 PM
Apprentice

Gulf that is a great idea!!!!

I have lots of aluminum foil on hand and those baking pans are very inexpensive... I am sure it will work great for now.

This has been a good day, the oven went to just over 400F I had a little fire going for 7 hours the oven temp is still at 275F 6 hours after the fire with just a 'leaner' door with a big gap at the top... I made bread sticks, to me they were absolutely wonderful... best of all not even a hairline crack anywhere that I can see. So this evening I am in love with the world... but mostly ovens.

Cheers & thanks so much everyone!!
Old 07-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Master Builder

Hi Annie,

Bravo, bravo, your number 1 fan from Japan. I knew you could and would do it. Proud of you, babe. (sorry for not being PC)
Old 07-13-2013, 07:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Annie M.
But, not really my idea alone. Bruce came up with an idea, Russell saw where it might help and posted it on the forum. Russell's post got me to thinking. It's just the forum working together to help solve a problem. If it works for you, thank the forum . If not............... blame Russell.

Seriously, I'm glad that you are having a great day.
brickie in oz likes this.

Last edited by Gulf; 07-13-2013 at 07:18 PM.