Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 08:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Rustic Primitive Materials

How about a pic of your oven with new vcrete. What do you have to work with on your island? I suspect you get a ton of rain so waterproofing your vcrete should be a priority. Do let your vcrete dry out as much as possible before getting too carried away with the curing of the oven.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:17 AM
Apprentice

It just happens to be raining on my island at this very moment...

I lifted the tarp so you could have a peek

Yesterday I just did the pcrete up the walls in case the mix was too light and it crumbled... but it looks good and feels firm at 10:1 (just under 1 part water to get it to working consistency... I found the best way to do the pcrete is to use a wheel barrow and fluff the dry ingredients... add the water in 3 parts... hand-mix in small batches of about 2 cubic feet.)

Tomorrow no rain (fingers crossed) and I will finish the insulation layer!!

Of course it is going to be difficult to wait until I can go Pizza Pyro ... or maybe that should be Pizza Piero...
Attached Thumbnails
Rustic Primitive Materials-img_4016.jpg  
Old 06-20-2013, 10:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You have come a long ways since I remember your first post about an organic style rock foundation. Vcrete looks good. I did find if you make a curved trowel it helps with forming and packing vrete in position on curved surfaces. Keep up the good work.
Attached Thumbnails
Rustic Primitive Materials-83b-curved-trowel-4.26.13.jpg  
Old 07-12-2013, 05:36 PM
Apprentice

Default Wooden Door

I have some 2.5 inch slabs of rough milled fir on hand... is there any reason that I cannot use a piece for my oven baking door? My understanding is that if it is water soaked it should be OK... yes?... no?

Thanks Annie ...still curing my oven... tomorrow I go for 400!
Old 07-12-2013, 05:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wooden Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie M. View Post
I have some 2.5 inch slabs of rough milled fir on hand... is there any reason that I cannot use a piece for my oven baking door? My understanding is that if it is water soaked it should be OK... yes?... no?

if you want to use it for baking, even soaked in water it is going to burn up in a few uses. If you want to have your oven hot enough to bake, door goes on when the oven is still lit. I don't think there's any wood that will hold up. Even when backed with metal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:21 PM
Apprentice

Default Rats!

Rats!

... time for some very innovative recycling... crushed beer cans... old doorknobs... hubcaps... maybe something will come in with the tide this week

....I was just thinking about getting to baking temperatures requiring fire & closed door... If the oven gets hot enough for pizza with an open door why would baking require a lit oven with a closed door?

Last edited by Annie M.; 07-12-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Annie
Deejayohs right about the wood door it's not a case of if it will burn its when. But in saying that if you think the efforts worth just a couple of bakes why not.
You'll find a link to my own door at the bottom . It's made of airated concrete called hebel I like it cause it was cheap and easy to make without much metal working skills. That might interest you . There's also a link on there on the last post to a timber door I built out of a packing crate which survived one bake.
Great to see you back but as usual no pic. you really are a tease Annie)
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 07-12-2013, 08:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Rats!

Quote:
.....I was just thinking about getting to baking temperatures requiring fire & closed door... If the oven gets hot enough for pizza with an open door why would baking require a lit oven with a closed door?
If you want to bake - then you get the fire going, and once the oven is good and hot you put the door on. That starves the fire of oxygen - but keeps all the heat inside. If you just let the fire go out with the door open and then put the door on, then the oven won't be very hot when you want to bake.

I'm talking mostly about bread here. Baguettes bake at ~550. Wood burns at about that temperature.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:56 PM
Apprentice

I get it now...

No doors made out of baguettes!!

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2013, 12:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wooden Door

Quote:

I usually fire for exactly one hour, let the flames die, push the coals to the outside and the oven is at around 250C I then place the roast and fit the wooden door(it has a 12mm insulating panel) with the door fitted the coals go out frm lack of oxygen. A wooden door works pretty well but not if the temp exceeds 300C. Without an insulating panel soaking the door may help, but the water in the door will dry pretty fast, then you're cooking your door. Facing the door with sheet steel won't achieve much because as the steel or alum. is conductive it heats up fast and still cooks your door.
In fact I'm just about to put two chickens in the oven now. Just waiting for the flames to die and the oven is on 260 C the IR says the crown of the dome is 485 C

Last edited by david s; 07-13-2013 at 12:14 AM.