Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 04:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Rustic Primitive Materials

Gudday Annie
Brickie as usual is right ,that's a recipe for a disaster.
Annie, Annie you always amaze me with the different pathways that you continually try turn into. I mean this in the nicest possible way, you must never stop thinking.
The forum build ovens based on the wisdom of those 2000 yr old Pompeii oven builders using newer materials and methods. You have collected a good pile of both wisdom and materials for an oven build so let's stick ( as closely as Annie possible ) to one plan and get this done. Cause its warming up from winter perfect oven building wheather( here its cooling down from one hot wet summer again perfect oven building wheather)
As always awaiting you next post with interest...Go Girl!
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:33 PM
Apprentice

Dave...

Naturally I have sincere respect for 'ancient oven wisdom' and the knowledge & experience of this forum. So when it is indicated that my oven may collapse because I do not have the resources for the precision required I take it seriously and try to adapt my process.

I am in a struggle to keep my land and my home... so right now life is looming large and ovens are 'small' ... yes I do meander in my thinking and wander through my process... that is who I am!... but you can bet your best dollar that who I am is what will pull this all together... when I make that happen I will post a photo of me with a big beaming smile holding a fresh loaf from my oven still standing on my own land at my little place by the sea!!

OK... enough of the emotional stuff... back to building... so I pried off the ends of the kitchen cupboards and made a form with a little drywall knife ... is this arch too archey??? (yes I now know the bricks should be staggered for strength ... I am listening)

Cheers, Annie... still trying everyone's patience
Attached Thumbnails
Rustic Primitive Materials-img_4004.jpg  
Old 04-30-2013, 01:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Annie
Ha a photo .....now that's looking remarkably Good. Nothing like a photo to clear things up. And I can see what's been holding thing up or in this case what's not holding things up those gapes in the middle and end of the arch. You have got to have brick to brick contact.
Rustic Primitive Materials-image.jpg
Now I know that the photo is on its side but if you have a look at the junction of the arch and the wall that little slither of brick that's what you need. That's been cut with a brick bulster in fact my whole oven has.
Now they don't have to be perfect brick to brick contact is what your after. Mortar will fill the imperfections. So what if there not flush and poke up a bit ... No one will see them in the end cause there on the outside of the oven and will be covered with mortar.
Regards Dave
PS I lay no claim to the wisdom but I will except ancient I'm a retired sailor ....I think last captain I served under Noah

My Build

My Door

Old 04-30-2013, 11:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You need to go an raid the kitchen cupboard again and make another arch profile, unless you already have two?
Find some battens and make the oven profile like the drawing, that way you can lay the whole oven roof as one.

Dont worry about getting the profile out, it will just burn out when you have finished.

The inside joints need to be so thin that they are almost nothing, the outside joints will of course be bigger.

Dave will poke fun at my pic, but its all Ive got in my drawing skills.

Edit:-
I meant to also add that we have been down the wrong end of struggle street too, we bought a "very successful" business off some so called friends of ours and it nearly ruined us, we came so close many times to loosing the house.
Hang in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Rustic Primitive Materials-untitled.jpg  
Annie M. likes this.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 05-01-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:41 AM
Master Builder

Brickie is just fitting in with the topical nature of this thread.....

Rustic.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:08 AM
Apprentice

Default Voila!!

OK... here it is...

I have put the form on two wooden 'skids' so I can get it out once the vault roof sets... do not want to burn the particle board it may contaminate my oven... cupboards are made with all kinds of nasty stuff.

I did not cut the batten ends because I never cut unless it is absolutely necessary... only have a hand saw & the battens are actually stakes for my garden.
Attached Thumbnails
Rustic Primitive Materials-form.jpg  
Old 05-01-2013, 10:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Voila!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie M. View Post
OK... here it is...

I have put the form on two wooden 'skids' so I can get it out once the vault roof sets... do not want to burn the particle board it may contaminate my oven... cupboards are made with all kinds of nasty stuff.

I did not cut the batten ends because I never cut unless it is absolutely necessary... only have a hand saw & the battens are actually stakes for my garden.
I recommend to add some tapered shims under your skids to raise them slightly the shims can be removed easily and make it much easier to remove the skids later.

Chip
Old 05-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Apprentice

So... I was doing the shims ( which I think is a great idea, thanks Chip! ) and I happened to have a dry stack arch of 14 bricks on the form... still had that annoying gap at the top... and the bricks were a little restless and were shifting around a bit.... so... just for fun I pulled out the skids and let the form drop.

My oven is building it's sweet self!!!!!

The bricks are hanging there in a natural arch with no mortar and just some chunky bits at the bottom where the arch meets the wall... I assume that this is how my oven wants to "be".

With this natural arch the vault would be 14.75 inches in height... that would mean the 'ideal' door height at 63% would be about 9 and 1/3 inches I was planning (well, not exactly planning... but you get the idea) on an 11 inch door and just over 9 inches seems a bit of a squeeker... can I at least go to 10 for the door?

The BIG question though.... is a 14.75 vault height on a 29 inch hearth a BIG mistake... too big... to small... just right???

Thanks... Annie
Old 05-01-2013, 05:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Rustic Primitive Materials

Gudday Annie
The 63 per cent figure actually comes from a study down in the 70s on wood fired ovens in Canada and is an average of the ovens studied. If your less than 2/3 oven height and you are you good to go. Oven height is 1/2 inch over optimum if you keep quite about that I will not say a word.
Buy the way that is shaping up to be quite a Pretty oven, suits its surounds
Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 05-01-2013, 11:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday Annie
The 63 per cent figure actually comes from a study down in the 70s on wood fired ovens in Canada and is an average of the ovens studied.
I think it all comes from way before 1970.

More.