Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 12:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Rustic Primitive Materials

Lots of kilns use a cube form. The big advantage is easier loading because the sides are straight. The downside is poorer heat circulation (cool spots) and you need a way to support the roof. One way that is simple and works well is to drill holes through the bricks and insert steel rods with threads and nuts on the end. I built a top loading kiln like this once. The removable roof was the lid.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karangi Dude View Post
Hey Annie,

I don't want to start a big debate about using a soldier course or not!!!
I believe that half bricks laid on there flats (in this application) are stonger because they bond opposed to full bricks standing on there ends.
Half bricks are equal in size so it is easier to keep the vertical joins from lining up, if you go from a 2.5'' brick face (soldier course) to a 4.5'' brick face (half brick on its flat)somewhere the joins will line up as you go around the course it is hard to stop this from happening and you end up with vertical joins lining up, and may cause cracking.

There is a reason why the sky is blue but it is very long winded!!!
I brought up the structural unsoundness of a soldier course in another thread somewhere. In the absence of any support for laying the bricks like that, I think the discussion determined that although it may give you extra room on the side it is still structurally unsound an d if you want the extra height then the bricks should be laid flat there.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Apprentice

Default Tscarborough Square

Yessssss... SQUARE!

That is what I am going to go with... the soldiers are out of the mix and I am going to do a modified version of Tscarborough & WJW... sweet and simple.

A few days of sun on the way... perfect.

Annie... finally made up my mind!
Old 03-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Master Builder

Hi Annie,

I hope that all is well. Checking to see if you received my PM, is so please reply, that way I can pass it on to someone else if you don't want it. How is your oven coming along?
Old 03-08-2013, 01:46 PM
Apprentice

Still playing with bricks! Just got your message.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:52 AM
Apprentice

Default The Gap

Today I will be starting the 'dome' for my barrel vault...

For my oven I set the brick side walls 3 bricks in height, now comes the curved arc 'lid' as you know this will create a gap of about 30 degrees to start the first arch brick...

Question... Can I just use a 'wedge' of mortar for this area... or is it better to mix the mortar with small brick chunks?? I think these are my only options I tried splitting to fit and that was.... well let's just say it didn't work!! I can easily make the 'chunky peanut butter'.

The home brew mortar is great... I used my own sand and my own clay and it sets up beautifully, absolutely solid... and I found there is nothing more precise than the human hand for applying it to the bricks (never got around to getting a trowel)
Old 04-27-2013, 02:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: The Gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie M. View Post
Question... Can I just use a 'wedge' of mortar for this area... or is it better to mix the mortar with small brick chunks?? I think these are my only options I tried splitting to fit and that was.... well let's just say it didn't work!! I can easily make the 'chunky peanut butter'.
You need to cut the top bricks back if at all possible.

Quote:
The home brew mortar is great... I used my own sand and my own clay and it sets up beautifully, absolutely solid... and I found there is nothing more precise than the human hand for applying it to the bricks (never got around to getting a trowel)
Hope you have a spare set of hands, youre going to need them.
Attached Thumbnails
Rustic Primitive Materials-skewback-cut.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 04-27-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:45 PM
Apprentice

Your photo is what I wish I could do but cannot... no saw. All I have is a hammer & chisel. I just was hoping I could use mortar & brick chunks... I thought the permacrete insulation layer would help buttress the whole thing up and cover all the experiments (mistakes actually).
Old 04-27-2013, 02:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Your photo is what I wish I could do but cannot... no saw. All I have is a hammer & chisel. I just was hoping I could use mortar & brick chunks... I thought the permacrete insulation layer would help buttress the whole thing up and cover all the experiments (mistakes actually).
Are you going to build an enclosure around the oven if so loose pearllite will be better.

No saw, stick chunks of bricks in the large joint at the back, mortar alone wont do.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 04-27-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
O Annie your poor hands. Gloves at the least, raid the kitchen drawers and find a spatular or something so you can butter that wedge of mortar to the brick. Yes you'll have a couple slide off but you'll get practiced. Vinegar will take away the sting but not repair the damage
Regards dave

My Build

My Door