Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Rustic Primitive Materials

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Annie,

BEC1208 aka Bruce made a door from an old aluminum baking pan. Probably find one a thrift store and fill interior with vcrete like you clad your oven with. Look at his thread.
Russell,
I had to go back and look at that one myself. It got me to thinking about a foil roasting pan. The disposable type turkey or large square rectangle pans. I just thought I would add a little slant to a great idea.

Annie M.
If you can't find something similar to that Bruce's Door was made or don't have the tools to work the thicker aluminum there may be another alternative. I think that a temporary door could easily be fashioned from a couple of these disposable pans. The material is thin and can easily be worked without tools. Stuff it with vcrete like Russell mentioned or pack with crumpled aluminum foil.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"There is a snake in the garden."
Old 07-13-2013, 07:40 PM
Master Builder

Hi Annie,

Bravo, bravo, your number 1 fan from Japan. I knew you could and would do it. Proud of you, babe. (sorry for not being PC)
Old 07-13-2013, 08:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Annie M.
But, not really my idea alone. Bruce came up with an idea, Russell saw where it might help and posted it on the forum. Russell's post got me to thinking. It's just the forum working together to help solve a problem. If it works for you, thank the forum . If not............... blame Russell.

Seriously, I'm glad that you are having a great day.
brickie in oz likes this.

"There is a snake in the garden."

Last edited by Gulf; 07-13-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Annie

Rustic Primitive Materials-doors-003.jpg

I could think of many reasons for that thing not to work but it did a number of times! for a friend of mine. I'm sure you can do better

Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 07-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Italian ovens traditionally had wooden doors for baking and roasting. As well as soaking the door in a bucket they would seal around the sides of the door with wet newspaper.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Lot's of ways to skin the cat and I think you have enough local resources/materials to find something that works for you. Like Gulf say, you can always blame me........LOL. Congrats on the first baking.
Gulf likes this.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Talking Re: Rustic Primitive Materials

Gudday Annie
Happy that you enjoy your oven. Yippee! ( hope that didnt sound funny with the Aussie accent ) Noticed pizza has not been a priority. Originally pizza was the flat test bread that the bakers would make for themselves in a oven waiting to equalize and cool.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 07-17-2013, 08:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Hibachi Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie M. View Post
Just wondering... if anyone has ever seen an old hibachi converted into an oven door... just wondering
If it fits and you can encapsulate some insulation into it, It's a door... it is also great to hear that you are cooking.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Lot's of ways to skin the cat and I think you have enough local resources/materials to find something that works for you. Like Gulf say, you can always blame me........LOL. Congrats on the first baking.
It is now Official.... Any thing that goes wrong on an oven build, "We blame Russell!!!"
Old 07-17-2013, 09:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I am pretty thicked skinned but you guys and gals are starting to give me a complex now.............

Like Mr. C. says if you can make hibachi door fit and seal then you are golden. Looks like you are a good scrounger.

Annie, how about some pics of your bakings?