Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 06:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Rustic Primitive Materials

De nada, the shipping is more than the clay, and that isn't much (but don't promise anything to Australia).

edit-to fix my poor Spanish grammar.

Last edited by Tscarborough; 01-31-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
(but don't promise anything to Australia).
Actually, the shipping to here from the US is half of what I have pay from the UK.
I would have thought the same box weight would have been the same for the same Kms traveled, but its not so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:47 AM
Apprentice

Tscarborough...

What a kind and generous offer!! I am so very very grateful to you! I was going to put a "Like" on your post but it seemed woefully inadequate for how I feel about this.

I will still try to source something local in the next week... it is wonderful to know I have a 'go to guy' if I can't find anything here.

Best, Annie... suddenly having a really great day!!
Old 02-17-2013, 07:15 PM
Serf

Following with interest!

Good luck, seems you have a lot of help here.

Newbie working on plans for a semi-permanent, cheap (partially/mostly recycled) WFO...
Old 02-23-2013, 09:15 AM
Apprentice

Default 10 Buckets of Clay

Getting ready to mix mortar...

This is my 'new' clay I found a seam of grey that suits me... it is at the surface... so it is easy to dig... dries & crushes to powder easily with virtually no gravely bits & when I tossed a chunk in the wood stove it baked up to a nice pale terracotta colour... hard as a rock (which I assume it's ancestors actually were).

I have made two buckets of dry powder so I think I am good to start the dome... just wondering how long does the mortar stay workable so I know how much to mix at a time.

Thanks... Annie
Attached Thumbnails
Rustic Primitive Materials-img_3996.jpg  
Old 02-23-2013, 09:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Cool project, I am also watching with interest. I am building an oven on a dry stone base as well.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Last edited by stonecutter; 02-23-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:26 AM
Apprentice

Stonecutter... I looked at your works... pure beauty!

Mine is something out of the actual stone age in comparison... Pre-Neolithic.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:45 AM
Apprentice

Default Terra Chip

This is a chip of the clay after a half hour 'bake' ... seems like the home brew high temp mortar will work like a brick lattice holding it all together... this is my first 'clay experience' but I am also thinking this clay would make a good cob oven.
Attached Thumbnails
Rustic Primitive Materials-img_3998.jpg  
Old 02-23-2013, 12:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I was originally going to build the current oven out of clay earth but decided to go with firebrick this time instead...I'll give it a try next time!

This is a great book on earth building if you don't have it already...

Build Your Own Earth Oven, 3rd Edition: A Low-Cost Wood-Fired Mud Oven; Simple Sourdough Bread; Perfect Loaves: Kiko Denzer, Hannah Field: 9780967984674: Amazon.com: Books

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 02-23-2013, 12:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Annie,
If you aren't already doing this, you can use an old window screen or most any other kind of sieve to seperate the the clay down to the smallest particles possible. The finer the clay dust and the less chunks the better.

Also, start by mixing very small batches of the mortar until you get the hang of it. It want take more than a couple of batches until you will know how far it will go. I think that it should be used within an hour of first mixing. And that will require some shaking up of the unused mortar to stretch it out that long.