Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 10:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Rustic Primitive Materials

Way to go. What clay are you using. Is this why there was talk about a test fire? Fire clay (HC Muddox's mason fire clay) is rather inexpensive I think I paid $10 a bag and used 1.5 bags on my build. Should be able to find at any mason/brick supplier. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Rustic Primitive Materials-30-fireclay-sand-bed-5.30.12.jpg  

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:58 AM
Master Builder

Those are reasons to keep an eye on you. By the end of this project you're going to be full of helpful information for the newbies. Hang in there and keep on keeping on. Got your back.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:03 PM
Apprentice

This little boat has a long wake... I am going the distance for sure.

I think the barrier for me starting out was my mindset... you start digging in the forum history and take one look at the oven Les built and you think no way I can do that.... and that is probably true! Some people sail in yachts and some paddle about in a little canoe... but the important thing is we are all out there happily alive and enjoying another beautiful day... my 2 cents... cost of oven now $135.02

I have been phoning around and I can't find those bags of fireclay. They didn't have it at the place I was yesterday... and I think I will end up using the 'fresh' clay from here... if it can't be sourced nearby.

Today's challenge... getting those bags of lime & cement out of the car... they are HEAVY!
Old 01-31-2013, 12:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Annie,

Go to the HCMuddox web site and it show the distributors, not sure where in the Pacific Northwest you are located but Muddox has distributors in both Washington and Oregon. Hope this helps. At least you have a know qualtity of clay by using this product. I have a ceramic/pottery background and some clays have a really low fluidity temperature, ie earthenware versa stoneware vs porcelain. Just a thought.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 01-31-2013 at 12:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-31-2013, 12:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If it is indeed volcanic bentonite (which I would almost bet on), it is high in kaolin which should work fine, IF you can get it dry enough and IF you can get it ground fine enough.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:20 PM
Apprentice

Default Fingers Crossed

Mason's clay... listed at one of the big box hardware stores in the states but here in Canada they never heard of it... one rep even said that masons clay works in California but will not work here.... ...making my own will really extend the time line.... I think that may be a summer project.

I finally located a product called Moldit-X it is a stock item at a specialty builder supply... the sales person on the phone said it is a refractory cement... ( 50 pound bags) is there any way I can make some kind of mix for my oven with this?

Annie ... yes yes let it be yes
Old 01-31-2013, 03:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Annie
Did you look on muddox website? They have distributors in BC too.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 01-31-2013, 05:18 PM
Apprentice

I'm on the Island... difficult to get things over here sometimes. I think I will send them an email though just in case they have a distribution system over here. Thanks!

I am laughing to my sweet self... it's dirt, it's everywhere... and I can't get any!

What is to become of me... will I start cruising job sites in a trench coat and sunglasses... pssssst... "hey anybody got any fireclay"... will I get so desperate that I try to smuggle some across the border.

Annie... about to enter the 12 step program for oven builders
Old 01-31-2013, 06:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

PM me your mailing and I will send you 10#, that should be enough.
brickie in oz likes this.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Very nice gesture Tscar..............

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log