Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 10:18 AM
Apprentice

Default WARNING!!! Disturbing to Professionals!!!

Astounding!!

My floor plan includes some double stacked splits... split. The floor core is the usual full 4.5 x 9 inch firebrick... but in the 'corners I decided to use the splits because I thought they would be easier to split... and they are!!

I have this rusty old flat saw that I used to score the brick (with a little extra effort at the corners) and... Astounding!!! One pop with fat Max and it was like cutting butter... I am pleased with the edge and with Max... which is a relief as I think we are in for a long relationship building this oven... the saw not so much... I think his days are numbered.

Annie... who can't figure out how to get the photos smaller
Attached Thumbnails
Rustic Primitive Materials-brickcut.jpg   Rustic Primitive Materials-bricksplit.jpg  
Old 01-30-2013, 09:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Rustic Primitive Materials

Way to go girl. Just like the old time masons.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:01 AM
Apprentice

Default Better Than Yoga!

I am really enjoying the process... it is a good workout ( I often put heavy things in the wrong place in my work area so there has been a lot of moving back and forth of materials ) also I find it calming to the mind focusing on the simple task at hand... it is fun getting in touch with my 'inner mason' !

Today's question... how do I test mortar? Do I just butter-up a few brick pieces and pop them in a fire for an hour or two and see how they survive the bake?

Annie
Old 01-30-2013, 10:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mortar 2 pcs of brick together and throw that into the fire.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

IMHO, the home brew is that the WFOs use is tried and tested. I believe you do not have to do a "test" if you use the common 3:1:1:1 ratio that was talked about earlier in you thread. What you will find as a variable is how much water you will need to make the homebrew the right consistency (like peanut butter). Soaking the bricks in water before you slathter on the mortar is a good suggestion. Good luck, will be watching your progress.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:06 PM
Apprentice

Type S lime? yes/no?

OR can I just add sand and clay to Type S Mortar?

Last edited by Annie M.; 01-30-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tscar is the expert on lime. I defer to him, there has been lengthy discussions on S and N limes. Not in my pay grade.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Type S mortar may or may not have lime in it, use Type S lime if possible.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:37 PM
Apprentice

Thanks!

Annie... gone shopping!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:17 AM
Apprentice

Default Builder Boys

Yesterday was the first time I have been inside a large building supply center where the pros go... you can't really call it a store it covers acres... building stuff as far as the eye can see. If there had been no free parking spots I could have just parked my little hatchback under someone's truck... why are those trucks so high off the ground?

At the service desk the guys waiting kindly let me go first... I requested my bags of lime and cement... the clerk asked me what my project was and I replied wood fired oven and I was making my own refractory mortar... the clerk pointed to a stack of dusty buckets nearby and indicated that was refractory mortar I should be using... and in that moment I realized I knew more than he did about brick ovens... long story short... I politely stood my ground and gave a little lesson to all who cared to listen about what I have learned here about wood fired ovens... now here is the fun part... one of the men waiting says "the little lady knows what she is talking about give her the builder discount" and they did!!

Got the Type S lime and the cement... and a new toy... there was a laser thermometer in the discount bin and I bartered them down to $10 for that... it only reads to 650 F... but that will be good for baking if not pizza temperatures.

Cost of the oven thus far...

FREE... red brick, rock stand, slate for landing, 2 oar peels, sand, clay, door.

$$$... firebrick, fat max, cement, lime, perlite ( got a big discount on this at the hydroponic store because I wasn't using it for a 'grow-op' ) and thermometer.

TOTAL $135 I think I am doing quite well in the humble oven category!

Cheers Annie ... who is officially in the supply center computer as a 'contractor'
WJW likes this.