Old 06-22-2009, 11:55 PM
Apprentice

Arrow Re: Round foundation help

Tony,
it's not too late to change your mind with the similar build to Neil2's base.
You can easily chisel down beside your exposed rebar an inch or so into your footings and cut off the rebar below the surface and then render/repair the top surface. Drill some 5/8" (or 3/4" if you can get that sized rebar) holes into your footings where you want the legs to go , drive some deformed rebar into them, pour your posts and form up for your slab. This is what we do here to tie a house extension footing to an existing, so it will definitely suit an oven legs. I would think that you would need 8" posts/legs with rebar in them and vibrate it when you pour to get a smooth surface.
Food for thought and no bricking up under the oven!
Easy mate, if that's what you want!

Rasyts
Old 06-23-2009, 07:32 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Round foundation help

Wiley,

That's pretty inventive and may serve my needs for the insulation hearth. This forum brings so many clever ideas together so one can find the one that best suits them. Keep them coming!
Wiley, is that copper? The metal work is so cool.

See My Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:49 AM
Master Builder

Tony, I'm guessing you are referring to the dome, it's steel. My build is under "Other Oven Types" under "Steel Dome Oven".

Thanks for the kind words, and I too find there are alot of clever ideas on this Forum.

Bests,
Wiley
Old 07-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Laborer

Neil,

I'm thinking of going with sonotubes for the stand. How many would you recommend what diameter and where would you place them?

See My Photos:

My thread:

Old 07-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Three is a good number. (With four, if there is any settlement, one will go into tension and possibly crack). I used 7 1/2 inch sonotube.

If using three, the optimum placement to the center of the pier for a round suspended slab is about 60% of the way out from the center. For example for my 40 inch dome, the diameter of my slab is 62 inches, the radius 31 and the center of my pier support is .6x31=18 1/2 inches from the center.

To avoid punching sheer, the reinforcing from the piers should go into the suspended slab. I use two 1/2 rebar in the piers with about 4 feet sticking out. When the pier concrete had set for 3 days I bent them town. I then built a temporary form/table from 5/8 plywood to support the slab pour. The attached photos show the detail.
Attached Thumbnails
Round foundation help-oven-008.jpg   Round foundation help-oven-009.jpg   Round foundation help-oven-010.jpg   Round foundation help-oven-011.jpg  

Last edited by Neil2; 07-08-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

When using sonotube as a form make sure it is well braced bottom and top. At the bottom, a triangle of 2x4 should do and weight them down well.

Vibrate or tamp the concrete and once the form is full lightly tap the sides of the tube with the handle of a hammer. This will ensure a smooth finish to the exposed outside. You can tell how hard to tap it by looking at the top edge when tapping near the top - the wet concrete should be just "recoiling" slightly from the form. Don't worry about this too much, if there are any voids or holes they can be filled or parged later.

Leave the tube on for at least 7 days and keep damp the whole time.

Last edited by Neil2; 07-08-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Laborer

Neil,

If I go with 4 sonotubes, will the 60% rule apply to an 80" diameter also. I'm concerned that three may not be enough for this size.

I was also thinking of instead of using a wooden frame to support the plywood, what if i used stacked concrete blocks(which i now have many) and a piece of 2x4 between the block and the plywood. After the cement dries, i knock out the 2x4 and the plywood should come apart easily?

See My Photos:

My thread:

Old 07-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tony

When I first started designing my oven, I toyed with the idea of using just one 12 inch pier.

With 4 still use the 60% from center of oven to center of pier dimension.

The blocks to support your form should work OK. If you can work it so you have some narrow wedges between the block and the 2x4s (or between the 2x4 and the plywood) you will find it easier to dismantle once the concrete suspended slab has set.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:13 AM
Laborer

I have a concern about bonding the piers to the foundation. Should i wet my cement foundation before filling in the sonotubes? Or will the piers bond better to a dry foundation?

See My Photos:

My thread:

Old 07-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wet the foundation - really soak it. You should also have a mechanical bond. Can you drill into the foundation and grout in the rebar ?.

Correction to one of my earlier posts in this thread, I used 3/8 inch rebar (not 1/2 inch). If you can get the 1/4 inch rebar locally this would work as well and be easier to bend.