Old 08-13-2008, 09:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Rockwool for insulation

Hi Karl,

I missed this discussion, or I would have chimed in sooner... I used rockwool on my oven and it seems to be working fine.

Having said that, I was told that rockwool comes in various qualities. The regular house insulation stuff may well withstand 1000 C but only for a once off house-burning-down situation and not the weekly lets-see-how-hot-we-can-get-this-thing effort we are interested in. The stuff I used was developed for insulation round furnaces and indoor ovens.

And its a hassel keeping it dry while you finish the oven. But appart from that its fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Apprentice

Rockwool / stonewool slabs are pretty standard insulation also called by the name " fire block " in the construction world. 24" x 48" x 1,2,or 4" thick.
I got mine in Dallas at a hvac supply house and it is prety amazing stuff. Same material used in hydroponics as a growing medium. I also used some to protect parts when I tig and gas weld.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:14 AM
Apprentice

Mineral wool is made from molten glass, stone or slag that is spun into a fiber-like structure. Inorganic rock or slag are the main components (typically 98%) of stone wool. The remaining 2% organic content is generally a thermosetting resin binder (an adhesive) and a little oil.
The relation between temperature and thermal conductivity is indicated in the diagram below:
Attached Thumbnails
Rockwool for insulation-mineral-wool-insulation-k-value-diagram.jpg  
Old 08-13-2008, 02:13 PM
Apprentice

Hello everybody,

Thanks for all replies. I have concluded that the mineral wool (from stone) which I plan to use is suitable. At the present i am fitting the flue pipe to the chimney and building the enclosure.

regards from karl