Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 03:08 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Rockland County, NY 36" build with pictures.

Looking good Ron! I like the signature...so romantic!

Now the fun begins...the oven.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
Looking good Ron! I like the signature...so romantic!

Now the fun begins...the oven.
When your oven is built on love you can't go wrong.
Faith In Virginia likes this.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

ronwass,

Been following your build with interest. Used the right personal protection equipment (PPE), IE a NIOSH dust mask and gloves, if you cut the Insblock or make any dust. It is not very nice stuff. I believe one of the Aussies suggested that one buy cheap disposable coveralls so you don't track in the particles into the house or worse SWMBO's washer. Keep sending pics of your progress.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-30-2013 at 04:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-30-2013, 09:22 PM
Laborer

Yes, thanks Utah. As far as I can tell, Insblock is basically asbestos, if not completely so. They certainly don't like to advertise it as such.

Is there any particularly good way to cut it? Wetted down? I guess I was planning on using a circular saw, while wearing a mask and the old clothes, as you say.

Any hints on how to properly encapsulate it after I lay it out? The bricks on top will be fine, but the sides will be open until my final stuccoing.

SWMBO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
ronwass,

Been following your build with interest. Used the right personal protection equipment (PPE), IE a NIOSH dust mask and gloves, if you cut the Insblock or make any dust. It is not very nice stuff. I believe one of the Aussies suggested that one buy cheap disposable coveralls so you don't track in the particles into the house or worse SWMBO's washer. Keep sending pics of your progress.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:44 PM
Master Builder

SWMBO ='s She Who Must Be Obeyed — one's wife or female partner
Old 05-30-2013, 09:54 PM
Laborer

Hah! Mad at myself for not figuring that one out. Have to say my wife is quite a reasonable person as far as they go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
SWMBO ='s She Who Must Be Obeyed one's wife or female partner
Old 05-31-2013, 03:12 PM
Laborer

Took the forms off this afternoon, and lightly grinded down the somewhat sharp corners. The slab looks a little amateurish, but, all in all, I'm happy.

As I said, any little voids are my neighbor Ernie's fault.

The big plastic bag on top contains my insblock. I'm keeping that stuff sealed until I can cut it, and then REALLY seal it up under the bricks.
Attached Thumbnails
Rockland County, NY 36" build with pictures.-img_0569.jpg   Rockland County, NY 36" build with pictures.-img_0570.jpg   Rockland County, NY 36" build with pictures.-img_0571.jpg   Rockland County, NY 36" build with pictures.-img_0572.jpg   Rockland County, NY 36" build with pictures.-img_0573.jpg  

Old 05-31-2013, 06:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Rw

Take your leftover mortar as you doing your brick work and render the insulation board sides this will encapsulate the insulation and keep it from getting damage as well while you build.
Attached Thumbnails
Rockland County, NY 36" build with pictures.-66b-temp-counter-forming-9.14.12.jpg  

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 05-31-2013, 08:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looking good Ron!

C
Old 06-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Laborer

Default More on cutting Insblock

Hopefully I'm not going to spread too much misinformation here. I did a little research today, although I'm far from being a chemist.

I've read up on the stuff. It seems to be made mostly with SIO2 or silicon dioxide. Sand is its most common form. That is also what the FB board is made of, the FB Blanket, the firebricks, fiber optics, glass, etc.

Call it a silicate mineral. Asbestos is also a silicate mineral according to Wikipedia. All this kind of stuff is toxic when in dust form. It creates tiny particulates which are great for insulatory properties because of all the air it traps, but the small particles are also very bad when you breath them in. They get stuck in your lungs forever, and with prolonged exposure can give you a lot of trouble.

I have a feeling that cutting the bricks creates a similar dust, as evidenced by one of my first posts in this thread.

Portland Cement (active ingredient of concrete) also has this kind of stuff in it in a dusty form, and it comes out in a cloud when you pour it into the mixer.

Even though I don't foresee any prolonged exposure to this insblock stuff (This will be the only time I ever cut it) I plan on treading very lightly. I'm going to use a jigsaw and I bought the strongest face mask I could find at Lowes for $39.99. I got chemical contact quality gloves, and am going to wash up thoroughly and start encapsulating the stuff under the bricks the same day.

Of course, my Craigslist Insblock could be something else, although I have no reason to doubt what the guy told me. I got enough of the stuff from him to cover the whole under oven for only about $100.

Ron

PS: Just got a harbor freight father's day coupon in the email for my brick saw for 199.00 That is $51.00 less than I paid for it a couple of months ago. Durn.

Last edited by ronwass; 06-01-2013 at 09:22 PM.