Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 06:54 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Rockland County, NY 36" build with pictures.

Those bricks are already tapered, but I'm sure I will still need to do plenty of cutting though.

I'm going to need some kind of mortar to fill in, for instance, the marked space below:
Attached Thumbnails
Rockland County, NY 36" build with pictures.-mortar-space.jpg  
Old 04-07-2013, 03:26 PM
Laborer

TRUNK FULL OF CRAIGSLIST BRICKS

Flat new ones on the right for the floor.

The tapered ones on the left look like they will work just fine for the dome.

He also said he had something called instop? 1 X 2 foot panels.

Will these work for insulation under the floor? I have to go back to him for more bricks next week anyway.

How thick does it need to be? His looked like about an inch and a half thick. I should have taken a picture of this guy's basement for you folks. He had several thousand bricks in many different shapes, sizes, etc.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Rockland County, NY 36" build with pictures.-img_0493.jpg  
Old 04-11-2013, 08:05 PM
Laborer

Sorry, what he has is Insblock, (not instop,) in 1.5 and 2 inch thicknesses, 12x36 inch sizes. Any recommendations what I should get from him? He is selling pretty much half price.

The attached pictures are a dry stack of my first few bricks that I cut with my new saw. It looks to me like the existing taper of the brick is going to be pretty close to what I need for the dome.

Since these used bricks are relatively cheap at a buck a piece, should I buy more and taper in so the backs of the bricks don't have such a large space between them?
Attached Thumbnails
Rockland County, NY 36" build with pictures.-img_0496.jpg   Rockland County, NY 36" build with pictures.-img_0498.jpg  

Last edited by ronwass; 04-11-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:13 PM
Laborer

Default I'm making some real progress

Well, I have three of my four foundation holes dug. I'm starting work on the wood stand. The photo of the screws says, "Stronger than 1/4 inch lag bolts." They really do zip right in too.

My plan is to get these two piers properly level and aligned, and then concrete them down before I work on the other two.
Attached Thumbnails
Rockland County, NY 36" build with pictures.-img_0535.jpg   Rockland County, NY 36" build with pictures.-img_0536.jpg   Rockland County, NY 36" build with pictures.-img_0538.jpg   Rockland County, NY 36" build with pictures.-img_0539.jpg  
Old 05-13-2013, 07:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwass View Post
Sorry, what he has is Insblock, (not instop,) in 1.5 and 2 inch thicknesses, 12x36 inch sizes. Any recommendations what I should get from him? He is selling pretty much half price.

The attached pictures are a dry stack of my first few bricks that I cut with my new saw. It looks to me like the existing taper of the brick is going to be pretty close to what I need for the dome.

Since these used bricks are relatively cheap at a buck a piece, should I buy more and taper in so the backs of the bricks don't have such a large space between them?
3-4 inches under all hot portions of the oven plus about another 1 inch on the radius to prevent bleed from the dome, would be great 2 would be the minimum. I would go with 4 inches.

Get a little extra board for your insulated door also.

The existing taper will be fine just make sure the internal joint is small as possible, beware of the dreaded inverted V's. when going to higher rows.

Chip
Old 05-13-2013, 07:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: I'm making some real progress

Quote:
Well, I have three of my four foundation holes dug. I'm starting work on the wood stand. The photo of the screws says, "Stronger than 1/4 inch lag bolts." They really do zip right in too.

My plan is to get these two piers properly level and aligned, and then concrete them down before I work on the other two.
I am not sure i would go with a wood foundation, what about using sonatubes with embedded rebar. You could build wood boxes around them if you want the wood look.

Chip
Old 05-14-2013, 10:27 PM
Laborer

four 6x6 girders? Set as they are below the frostline on 6 inch deep 18 inch round concrete pads, they will surely hold the approximately 800 pounds of concrete hearth plus the bricks for the dome. About 100 or so bricks at 8 pounds a piece I guess. (I'm doing a stucco finish, so no weight of a large brick enclosure.) I'm going to also put in some 2x6 joists below the hearth ike this guy here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/2/my...s-15465-2.html (My oven Plans)

(Scroll halfway down that page to see the pics of his stand with the joists.)

Too late to change my plans at this point I think.

Faith and a couple other guys checked out my foundation plans in another thread and gave them the good domekeeping seal of approval.

Last edited by ronwass; 05-14-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:

Faith and a couple other guys checked out my foundation plans in another thread and gave them the good domekeeping seal of approval.
I am also sure they will work fine. I but wood in the ground even if treated lasts only about 50 years or so. But by then you will probably not care.

Chip
Old 05-15-2013, 04:42 PM
Master Builder

Well that is a start, one foot in front of the other.

I use those Headlok screws all the time. They are good screws BUT they do not replace bolts. Once you get it all together (the wood base) you need some carriage bolts with nuts and washers. So place the Headlok screws in a place that leaves you room to add real through bolts.

With a good size pry bar you can pull or break those Headlok bolts with relative ease, it would be difficult to pry out any carriage bolt with nuts and washers. It's a few extra bucks but it is a huge safety factor.

Looking good. Hows the blisters???
Old 05-15-2013, 05:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I am a fan of notching the first board of a supporting beam to a post. I have always scribed the level mark under the board once it is level. I would set a skill saw to about 1 and 5/8". Starting at the top of the post I make as many 3/8" cuts as it takes to get down to the level mark. A good sharp chisel will clean the notch up so the board can be set into place. It will now have the support of the post underneath it. A "retro" would be to fit a treated 2 X 4 underneath. It sitting on the footer and cut to fit the bottom of the beam. I am only adding this because I have seen bolts fail. Not because of the strength of the bolt but, because the boards split along the grain that close to the end of the board.

Just Sayin'
I hope my description makes sense

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"There is a snake in the garden."