Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 08:22 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Rockland County, NY 36" build with pictures.

Interesting from the pics you can so clearly see how my mortaring improved as the courses rose. Thanks all for the words of encouragement.

Ron
Old 08-27-2013, 07:14 PM
Laborer

Default I'm going to have to do this arch over again.

As you can see, I guess when I pushed the keystone in it started to push out one of the bricks in the left side column. I think my mistake was that I didn't let the mortar in the columns cure enough before I put up the arch.

I'll have to do the whole thing again later this week.

Do you think I should add another column of bricks on the far left and right so support the main columns? Those stacks would sit directly on the concrete base and not on the front of the oven floor, so that would be good. I assume I can also use regular clay bricks there too. (I'm almost out of fire bricks.)

Any other comments before I rebuild this part? Is my chimney opening large enough? I calculated its size at approximately 15% of the size of the front opening.
Attached Thumbnails
Rockland County, NY 36" build with pictures.-img_0725.jpg   Rockland County, NY 36" build with pictures.-img_0726.jpg   Rockland County, NY 36" build with pictures.-img_0727.jpg   Rockland County, NY 36" build with pictures.-img_0728.jpg  
Old 08-27-2013, 08:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Fire brick is not required for buttressing and it would be a good idea, try to stagger the joints and if you are building a house set them lengthways against the vertical part of the arch.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:34 PM
Master Builder

I had a similar issue and pulled that part down and rebuilt it with a decent buttress. Between one thing and another that arch holds a bit of weight and outwards is where it wants to go. I figured that it was better to backtrack a little than have a failure in the future.

With the flue opening I will leave that for the better qualified but I would have maximised the size of mine if doing it again.

Clay bricks should be fine for the buttress.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics
Old 08-28-2013, 04:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
It's bad that that brick moved, but you can make good from bad. You'll now be able to bond the buttressing into the front entrance it will look less like an after thought that way. And if you like, use some more interesting brick in the construction perhaps , firebrick can look a little bland.
Really, your now over the scary bits of the build and at the presentation stage with the bricklaying skill a lot more developed. That has to be a good thing.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 08-28-2013, 05:17 AM
Master Builder

Ronwass,

Your oven is really coming along, I would never have even attempted this because I have zero skills in brick or block laying.

I have a little experience in design though. The experts out there can correct me if I am wrong but--it appears like the ends of the arch are supported by nothing---you have three or four blocks stacked up and the arch is angled into the columns--no type of end cut is made where the actual weight of the arch can rest---once that it is set or the mortar has set.
It appears like the whole thing is like a wedge forcing downward.

You can imagine splitting a log by driving a wedge into the wood. Your design is doing the same thing. Any weight that you put onto the arch is always going to force things outward. If it were my build, the starting brick for the arch would be cut into the last course of the column supporting the arch and brick on each side should be built outward to take into account the outward thrust. If the arch were monolithic, the force would simply be downward, but since yours is segmented, you have both outward and downward to deal with.

I hope that I am not coming off as sour grapes, your oven really is looking good, and you should be proud of what you have accomplished so far. As someone else said, you really are on the home stretch...Keep at it and keep the photos coming. It is fun to see how others deal with situations that arise when you make a WFO! Congratulations many times over!!!!!!
Old 08-28-2013, 06:52 AM
Laborer

Thanks all. I think I have a good idea how to backtrack and proceed again.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:35 AM
Journeyman

Ron

I built two cheap but effective buttresses out of angle iron. You can kind of see them in this picture - more detail in my thread.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...nia-19283.html (32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California)

Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Rockland County, NY 36" build with pictures.-front-arch-sides.jpg  
Old 08-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by boerwarrior View Post
Ron

I built two cheap but effective buttresses out of angle iron. You can kind of see them in this picture - more detail in my thread.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...nia-19283.html (32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California)

Neil
Gudday
That looks like a neat solution, but would really be more suitable to having a enclosure.
Ronwass is it an igloo or enclosure?
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 08-28-2013, 03:38 PM
Journeyman

Good point Dave

Mine is enclosed and was easy to cover up. Would be much more challenging for an Igloo.