Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 05:41 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Rocket pot oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Jolie blonde~
What does that mean?

It's a Pinot Nero
Old 01-01-2013, 05:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It means the crust was white.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Serf

Well done, looks like yr cooking! Wil try putting a rocket in my wfo but it wil mostly for pre heatingand maybe keeping the temp up while doing a roast, my oven wil be a proper brick one so for sure wil not get enough heat from rocket alone but i stil believe by keeping the door closed and have the rocketstove chimne inside the floor it can be used to keep the big fire fire burning on the oven floor to keep more heat inside and not waste to much wood.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:23 AM
Journeyman

Here's another interesting one
I assume he has the chimney come inside the dome and exhaust out of the door as well as having the pipe heat up under the floor.
Starting to get some thermal mass less heat loss etc
Build Your Own Earth Oven FreestyleFarm
Old 01-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Master Builder

It means that Nero was drinking vino, while playing his Lute.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:44 PM
Laborer

First things first, I appreciate all the feedback. And I can take a joke as well as the next guy. So no worries about my fragile ego- I can both diagnosis and treat myself, but don't tell anyone

And apologies to Wiley, it was Al who was cracking wise about my yard

Tscarborough - Really, double the temperature, does it really need to be 1000? Actually I found it rather easy to double my temperature. I just put another thermometer in the oven and instantly I had two thermometers over 500. There you have it 1000 plus. Actually I did Max out one thermometer at 600+. I'm hoping to get higher than that with improvements in my design. I hope you'll talk to me even if I don't get up over 1000.

I think I'm going to go with as small of a door as possible. Since I don't need the 63% to burn, All I really need is a chimney on top to allow the rocket to vent.
I have already experimented with blocking the inlet on the rocket to help her Serpi. The floor does cool rather quickly however I think that is in part my lack of patience and not allowing it to get fully up to Temperature.
As far as pots go I actually had two stoves in the pictures the taller pot was removed in favor of the lower dome of the same circumference. I'm hoping this reflects more heat back on to the cooking surface.
I believe I will need insulation over the pot of some sort. I attempted to find insulation for a furnace but all I could find was fiberglass. I may have to go back to perlite or vermiculite and concrete.
I think this rocket stove idea all boils down to time versus mass versus efficiency and is a plausible idea however when it comes time for me to build a permanent woodfired up and I will end up going with the old tried-and-true.
David is your oven only 21 inches internally? do you find it difficult to have space for a fire and a pizza?
I shall make one more attempt to attach multiple pictures they should demonstrate the difference between the large pot the small.
Okay that didn't work I guess this will serve as a quick picture of my lower domed pot/oven
Attached Thumbnails
Rocket pot oven-image.jpg  
Old 01-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you want NY you only need to hit 600 (6-7 minutes), 750-800 for NY elite 4-5 minutes), but you are going to have to have a floor of 800 and walls/ceiling over 900 for a Neapolitan (60-90 seconds).

I will still talk to you anyway, I make all three, and even Detroit style at 450 (12 minutes)!
Attached Thumbnails
Rocket pot oven-122812pizza5.jpg  
Old 01-02-2013, 05:15 PM
Journeyman

In my area lots of hardware stores have began stocking Roxul brand insulation. Roxul is a mineral wool insulation, and would work perfectly for your oven. Not sure how easy it will be to find in a warm climate, but they do use it for acoustical insulation so it is possible you may find it locally.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Roger,
Yes my oven is 21" internal diam. I usually remove half the coals once it's up to temp and then maintain a fire on the side, cooking 90 sec pizzas one at a time. I usually make the bases about 9" in diam. We find that pizza parties of up to 35 are really easy provided that guests share whatever comes out of the oven rather than wait for their individual pizza. We prefer this sharing method and I've done parties of up to 80, but this is getting to be a struggle cooking one at a time.I can't fit a whole pig in my oven, but I have cooked a 5 kg turkey. My oven is has about the same floor area as most domestic kitchen ovens and we feel it is perfectly adequate.
Regarding the mineral wool insulation, because it compresses quite easily you may find it difficult to do the stucco layer straight on to, compression reduces the insulation value. This only applies if you are planning to finish the oven in an igloo style. If you are making an enclosure style the mineral wool is quite suitable.
Dave

Last edited by david s; 01-02-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
I just put another thermometer in the oven and instantly I had two thermometers over 500. There you have it 1000 plus.
You stick to helping ppl with chips on their shoulder and Ill do the jokes......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.