Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 10:21 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Rocket pot oven

Al,

Leave it up to you to start the NEW YEAR, with words of wisdom. Happy New Year, my friend.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Read through that Green Rocket Oven site a little. This bit about how it works was interesting:
F - The heat from the fire cools slightly as it rises up the chimney, then strikes the bottom of the cooking platter, keeping it at the ideal cooking temperature (around 500 degrees Fahrenheit or 260 C). It then spreads out and heats the oven walls before it escapes the oven.
I can get my home oven to 500F. I can get my BBQ that hot for pizza too. But it's not really hot enough for great pizza.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentius View Post
Al,

Leave it up to you to start the NEW YEAR, with words of wisdom. Happy New Year, my friend.

Thank you, thank you very much, while youre here please try the veal.

I will be performing shows here twice daily until 2014....arhuh......

Old 01-01-2013, 12:43 AM
Master Builder

I think I will! How is it prepared today and what wine would you suggest? By the way, I'm glad to know that your World Tour was a success, was it a trip that you would recommend to a less robust American traverler?
Old 01-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentius View Post
I'm glad to know that your World Tour was a success, was it a trip that you would recommend to a less robust American traverler?
Im not going until our winter, June 2013, it will be too hot out there in summer.

Anyone who is well prepared could make the trip.
miltcook likes this.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Master Builder

Great link to the Green Rocket Oven site, thanks Deejayoh!

It would appear that the Green Rocket Oven probably works and well enough for some people. Those of us on this forum will probably admit we are pizza snobs and laugh at the idea that somehow a six inch tortilla can be dressed up to masquerade as a pizza. The photos alone of the pizzas on the Green Rocket site are worth the visit.

Over the years I have been on the forum we have had several ovens that are made of converted Weber grills and chopped and modified ex-propane tanks and such like. Many are quite innovative and show a lot of personal inventiveness and creativity. But IMHO the problem with most of these creations is that they are pretty much all a "one trick pony". Those of us with a more traditional WFO (and I'm being pretty loose here to include WFOs like my own and cob ovens) know that our WFOs are capable of so many tricks. There's nothing I can bake in my home oven that I cannot bake in my WFO, and alot more that I can bake in my WFO better than in my home oven.

In defense of the one trick pony, there are several creations whose portability make the idea of pizza at a tailgate party a lot more interesting. Take away the portability and IMHO they are just a curiosity.

Happy New Year to All!
Wiley
Old 01-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Laborer

Okay let me see if I can address some of the things of been brought up thus far. Wiley I completely support anybody who believes I should raise my fees. However cracking wise about my yard is just not nice. I agree the idea that a tortilla is not by any means a real pizza. And well, maybe you guys are pizza snobs I felt it was best to go to the experts to get information about ovens.
In my zeal to make a fire I rushed out this morning like a child on Christmas and fired up the stove. It steamed like crazy and eventually developed some cracks. However my internal temperature was up well over 500.
Clearly patience is not my best suit.
I believe you're right about the one trick pony aspect of the small oven and while I'm more convinced than ever that it's possible to make a woodfired oven that's fed by a rocket stove, There remain some significant hurdles to get over.
The postmortem from this morning's Bernshouse some cracks around the chimney probably due to my lack of masonry skills. The pizza stone and the terra-cotta stone diffuser both survived without incident.

And I'm still waiting for an answer on how small of a door I can make in my pot since I have yet to cut it.
Attached Thumbnails
Rocket pot oven-image.jpg  
Old 01-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Laborer

Over 20 years of education I still can't figure out how to post more than one picture. Oh well. I realize all the black stuff on this is unburned soot. used cheap wet wood which I believe contributed to this condition. I thought it might be good to show you my internal diffuser configuration.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 01-01-2013, 02:13 PM
Laborer

But wait there's more it's a live-action shot of flowerpot Oven 2.0. I thought Gulf might like to see this. The big lump of vermiculite on top is just to cover hole was going to be a chimney earlier.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 01-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The cracks in your mortar joints are shrinkage cracks from using too wet mortar. 500 degrees is not going to do you much good, double it, we can talk.