Old 07-03-2009, 03:47 AM
Serf

Default Re: Really need some help getting started

Hi Matt, It was just a couple of weeks ago I was in your position and now I have a finished dome, fabricated chimney and an insulated door. What I am saying is do your homework and have a plan because once you start it is all over before you know.
Here is the result of a couple of weeks work on my days off. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...zed-bricks.jpg
Old 07-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Master Builder

Hi Matt,

I found the ultimate hook-up for fire bricks. H. C. Muddox on Bradshaw manufactures them and will sell "seconds" to the public for 30 cents. Some have small defects - cracks or dents or color imperfections - but most look fine and all of them are well suited for what we are useing them for.

I couldn't find the refractory mortar anywhere in Sac. I ordered mine from the Forno Bravo store. I built my oven with tight mortar joints so I didn't need to use that much.

Got a saw yet? I could help you out there too.

Let me know what else.

The first photo is of the three bricks out of 280 that I didn't use.
The second is of typical bricks.

dusty
Attached Thumbnails
Really need some help getting started-oven-11-27-2007-002.jpg   Really need some help getting started-oven-11-27-2007-003.jpg  
Old 07-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Laborer

to Boily: I know what you mean...i still have most of the work left to do, but it already feels like i'm over the hump of deciding to go through with it, so its all down hill from here. I've been reading these forums and other places on the web and in books for months to try and map-out in my head what needs to be done...i just hope everything i understand so far is correct. So far all I have to brag about is a foundation slab which I poured yesterday. Are you finished? and how long did it take you?

to Dusty: Thanks for the tip on firebricks...i'll be going there sometime this week, i just need to figure out how many i need. how did you know how many to buy? is there an equation based on how big the oven is going to be, or did you just buy more as you needed them? Like i said, all i have is the slab so far, so i'm not sure of the dimensions or shape I want to build my oven. I'm probably going to buy the refractory mortar from the website along with the FB Board and Blanket. What did you use your saw for...Was it to cut the bricks, or is there another use for it?
Old 07-08-2009, 12:55 AM
Serf

Hi Matt, no the build is not finished as I am now waiting on the brickie to come and lay the main building around the oven and kitchen and daybed area. I don't mind laying the bricks that are not seen but when it comes to my home and surrounding buildings it has to be a professional job. This is due to happen at the end of July or early August as he is away shooting feral pigs and goats. At this stage I am trying to cure the oven but I am not having much luck with the weather, (rain and showers).
If you want to see my progress you can find the link to my pics in the pompei build section. The actual build of the dome progressed at about 2 coarses per day. I think I have maybe 1 or 2 less coarses than you blokes in the USA because our fire bricks are 3" thick compared to your 2.5" units. But I could be wrong.
Just hook in and have fun while it lasts.
Cheers Ian.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Master Builder

Matt,

The oven plans had a recommended number. I think it was around 250. I bought 280 just to be safe, and I was. The guy's name at Muddox is Jeff and he is really cool. Be sure to tell him what you are building.

The saw is for cutting the bricks. I did alot of cutting while building my oven as I tapered every brick to fit. I have a brand new Harbor Freight wet saw still in the box. Long story but I no longer need it and would be willing to sell it.

I attached a couple of pics to show you what the saw and the tapered bricks look like.

dusty
Attached Thumbnails
Really need some help getting started-oven-12-16-2007-005.jpg   Really need some help getting started-oven-11-18-2007-004.jpg  
Old 07-16-2009, 04:12 PM
Laborer

I really like the pictures of what you guys have done!! I'm attaching a few pictures of the progress I've made thanks to all the help I received thus far. I really didn't realize I would be able to do this much so fast.

Now onto building the hearth. I looked at the online instructions on how to do it and I downloaded the PDF file, but am still a little nervous about it. Mostly i'm worried that the 2X4 reinforced plywood won't hold all the weight of the concrete...i'm probably just being paranoid haha.

Also, just to make sure I understand correctly, the hearth slab is comprised of 3 1/2 inches of normal concrete on the bottom and 4 inches of vermiculite-concrete (5 parts vermiculite to 1 part portland cement)? I just wanted to make sure my numbers are correct! And finally (sorry for all the questions) why is it that in the on-line instructions the vermiculite-concrete mix wasn't poured under the oven landing area? would it be ok to go ahead and pour the whole thing vermiculite-concrete, or should some other material be used to fill in the gap. Dusty (or anyone else), do you have any advice before I move on?

like i said, sorry for all the questions, its just now that i have the foundation and stand built, it feels like this thing is getting serious and i don't want to use the wrong measurements/materials/etc.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Laborer

sorry...had to put these in a separate post for some reason
Attached Thumbnails
Really need some help getting started-myself-005.jpg   Really need some help getting started-myself-015.jpg   Really need some help getting started-myself-035.jpg   Really need some help getting started-myself-040.jpg   Really need some help getting started-oven-001.jpg  

Old 07-17-2009, 06:21 PM
Master Builder

Matt,

Looks great so far. Looks huge for some reason.

Your numbers look correct and it is perfectly acceptable to pour the vermiculite/cement stuff over the entire hearth. Simpler too. I did. I built my dome right on top of that stuff.

dusty
Old 07-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt916 View Post
Mostly i'm worried that the 2X4 reinforced plywood won't hold all the weight of the concrete...i'm probably just being paranoid haha.
Yeah, you are. Use 2x6's or 2x8's since you'll be pouring it plenty deep. With a suitably long ratchet tie-down strap or two (and some blocks of scrap) you can crank those forms down tighter than a drum. Be sure and pound on the sides of the form a lot during and immediately after pouring and screeding the structural slab. Concrete behaves like a liquid while it is being vibrated and the resulting slab will be much, much stronger if you take advantage of this trait.

If you have any tapcons, a neat solution to the problem of how to build a 'tray' for the 3/4" plywood underlayment part is to screw some 2x4s directly onto the blocks of the stand, and then put legs at the corners and a 4x4 or 6x6 in the middle. Worked like a charm.