Old 02-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Serf

Default Re: protection when installing ceramic blanket?

I'm always amused when I hear about the health aspects of ceramic fiber. No human disease has ever been caoused by ceramic fiber! For more specific information on health aspects of ceramic fiber, go to Refractory Ceramic Fibers Coalition

Soluble fiber is properly called bio-soluble fiber - It is designed to dissolve in lung fluid. Ceramic fiber also dissolves in lung fluid (takes longer to dissolve). Asbestos does not disolve.

Both ceramic fiber and bio soluble fiber will work in insulating a pizza oven. I have used both. Wear long sleeves - both products itch! Review the specs and MSDS of both products and decide which product you are most comfortable with.

Please note- all firebrick, castable, mortar, etc contain crystalline silica. Crystalline silica is a carcinogen! - all pallets of brick, bags of castable, even play sand, list the warnings for crystalline silica. Wear the proper dust mask when cutting brick or working with dry mortars, castables, or cements.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Journeyman

Ceramic fibre should be treated with respect, it does cause irratation to bare skin and always wear a mask. The only time to really worry about it , is when the binders in the material burn out at temperatures over 1,000c. Beyond the limits that WFO's get to.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks for the info jpar,
The Europeans consider the older fibre enough of a risk to categorize it as a Class 2 (whatever that means) carcinogen. That is sufficient doubt for me to avoid the material. I don't think it"s a laughing matter, I'm planning to live to 100.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

My understanding was that the silica crystalline formation occured around 1110 C, which should mean that the dry unfired castable is safe to handle. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:10 AM
Serf

David S,

The raw materials in castables, mortars, etc, have all been calcined at temperatures exceeding 1100 C. Firebrick have been fired at temperatures exceeding 1000 deg C in the manufacturing process.

Crystalline silica is also present naturally in sand - I have been told that the Egyptians building the pyramids suffered silicosis
Old 02-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

ok,thanks.I think I'll wear a mask when handling dry materials from now.