Old 07-24-2008, 07:20 AM
Serf

Default Re: Is this project too big?

Thanks to all for the encouragement. I live in northern MN so my building window is smaller than those further south. I know it depends on me, but what kind of timeframe am I looking at. When if comes time to build the oven itself, how much can you do at one time before you can add another course? I am trying to get an idea from start to finish.

I plan to build a fire-ring next to the oven and may get started with that this fall to get my feet wet. I plan to make the foundation big enough so I can build the oven on the same foundation.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:18 AM
Master Builder

I'll let others comment on the timeline, but one thing that will affect that is whether you want a foundation below the frost line or a floating slab at grade (like a typical garage floor). Some folks here (like me, in N.E. Wisconsin) have gone with a deep foundation (there's a link to my pics below), while many others have done a floating slab, and both methods, done properly, should be fine. The decision depends somewhat on the type of soil and drainage you have. But the deep foundation will probably add time to your project.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:35 AM
Serf

Wow, that is quite a foundation. I had initially planned on a regular floating slab. But, I will have to give it some thought.

I have been trying to download the oven plans and the "store" seems closed. Is the link available anywhere else?
Old 07-25-2008, 01:05 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnshel View Post
how much can you do at one time before you can add another course?
It depends of how you are going to deal with bricks - tapper two sides, tapper four sidea or not tappet at all. 4 sides may take a years (Les), no tappering at all allows you to assemble 3-4 courses at a time (me).
Old 07-26-2008, 02:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Is this project too big?

Hi mnshel,
you can take as long or as short as you wish. If you want to do something so special and fanyastic as dmun's Pompeii, look at almost a year (especially in your climate) or if you are a bit like me (first time attempt at a Pompeii)
3 weekends and another to finish it off. See my oven build and description, hints and tips at:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html

and follow the link at the last posting of each thread.
I didn't have any tapered bricks but did have a professional brick saw. I did a pile of preparation and planning but it paid off and all came together, even worked in the rain under a tarp. Depends on how determined you are.
My next 2 builds will be out in the country and each of those ovens, arches, chimneys and domes will be built in 2 days, not counting the base. Hopefully, my friends can build those without my presence.

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway