Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 11:48 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Is it possible to build something that will work both as a grill AND as an oven?

seems like since pigs are roughly rectangular vs. circular, a barrel vault style oven might be a better use of space, although it would still need to be pretty big. How long is a whole pig? Four or five feet? If you could rig up some kind of interior rack system I think a very large barrel vault oven would work, but loading it might be another story.
The book "The Bread Builders" by Alan Scott has directions for building this style of oven. Basically the same set of materials just a different shape.
I've had great success with smoke roasting in my Pompeii. Just a matter of leaving a little active fire and a bit of air flow.
I guess I'd probably figure out some kind of permanent pit oven if roasting whole hogs were my thing.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:59 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Is it possible to build something that will work both as a grill AND as an oven?

I came across this photo of a barrel style that if built big enough should serve your purpose
Attached Thumbnails
Is it possible to build something that will work both as a grill AND as an oven?-artyro-1-026.jpg  
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Journeyman

If you build a barrel vault
- make sure you ignore the thermal mass stuff in favor of insulation.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The plan for my barrel vault is to use 1-5/8x4-1/2x9 firebrick on edge, backed with 1" of render on the vault and common brick at the base, and 4-8" of insulation (but with 2-1/4x4-1/2x9 firebrick for the floor).
Old 12-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Serf

Thumbs up Re: Is it possible to build something that will work both as a grill AND as an oven?

Hi All!

Turkeys are good but whole pigs are yummy!... and you can easily fit a 25 to 30 pounder on a full size sheet pan (15x24) piece of cake getting it in and out. I've done it twice in a gas oven... can't wait to do it in my WFO! Fear not!!! just specify the weight with your butcher. You're gonna love it! make sure you stuff the belly w/ herbs , garlic, fennel, onions and oranges and tie it up!
Kat

My mouth is watering lol!
Old 12-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkat View Post
and you can easily fit a 25 to 30 pounder on a full size sheet pan
that would be a (smaller) suckling pig right?
Old 12-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That would be a suckling pig in my book. The butcher board at my butcher specifically lists all pigs under 50 lbs as suckling. I have to order in 10 lb increments (10-20, 20-30, etc). After suckling they are simply listed as whole pigs (does not call them hogs) 50-75 lbs, 76-100 lbs, 101-125 lbs, 126 and up. I have only purchased a couple of times...I am usually there to buy pork bellies for bacon.

RT

RT