Old 03-12-2013, 05:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Possible approach to hearth

Gudday
Great to hear your your project on the go!
Remember your the "builder" here and like a house builder you call the shots. Like a house builder you don't have to do it all yourself ..... You have the
" tradies" to do there thing ... The concreters lay the slab to your spec etc.
It's good good to see the whole picture and not get bogged down in the detail
Take you own time and enjoy the journey!!!!

Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:31 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Possible approach to hearth

Thanks again for your support and encouragement.

Dave, I looked at your build thread. I didn't see the size of the dome listed (probably missed it) and am guessing it's about a meter. I am leaning toward using the angle iron approach for the inner opening as well. It seems to me that this will simplify making the insulated door. What dimensions did you for the entry?
Old 03-12-2013, 03:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
That's a 42in dome, dome height is 20in, height of entrance 12 &1/2in and 20in wide. My thoughts when building were for a wide opening big enough for anything I could fit in there whole pig cow sheep etc. I also had a deep entry to enable me to have a ambiant fire in the entrance.....I just like the flames who doesn't.
Having a square entrance is a bit old school now but when it came to the chimney the disadvantage is there is no high point on an arch to bring the smoke to the centre and out a steel pipe. So in the end I settled for a chimney running more than width of the entrance running straight up , no constrictions no smoke in the eyes no smoke stains.
I have built an arch in the front of the oven I found it a lot easier than my first attempt and I could explain the process if you want .

Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 03-12-2013, 06:43 PM
Journeyman

Dave, so much for my ability to estimate dimensions. Curious if you would build the inner arch on a redo or are you satisfied with the angle iron? On my side, looks like slab won't be poured until next week at earliest, so have some time to decide. I appreciate your offer to help. Bruce
Old 03-13-2013, 04:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Bruce
Pretty good guess its 1 mtr 50 mm so you were 2 ins out!
Would I rebuild my entrance....no way just to big a job would involve tearing the whole thing down. The angle irons not badly rusted even after 2 yrs now if it does its 2 pieces. Both have the ends Untrapped by bricks or mortar so it's a case of knocked 1out at a time and putting in a new if it comes to that.
If I build another oven I would build and arch like the one I fitted to the front. Straight sides and low arch at the top recon that gives you the most usable shape....and the smokes comes out the middle. I would still build a large brick chimney I like the Idea of no smoke not ending up in your face.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 03-13-2013, 06:53 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday Bruce
Pretty good guess its 1 mtr 50 mm so you were 2 ins out!

Thanks, but I'll fess up, at the time I had a brain fart and was thinking a meter was a bit less than a yard.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:11 AM
Journeyman

Had foundation poured and have started arranging and dry stacking block. I am going to attach a few pictures to be sure I understand the process before starting my build thread. Right now I am planning to do a 36 inch build and look forward to continued feedback and suggestions. Thanks again, Bruce.

I tried adding images. Worked fine for first jpg but would not allow me to add additional images without removing the previous one.
Attached Thumbnails
Possible approach to hearth-image.jpg  

Last edited by Bec1208; 03-27-2013 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Added image
Old 03-27-2013, 02:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Talking Re: Possible approach to hearth

Gudday Bruce
Now you've done it...... once you've started there is no turning back.
Welcome!

Regards Dave

My Build

My Door