Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2014, 02:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Pizza oven problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMan View Post
So....if you're 42 and "transitioning into old timer territory", I have no choice but to assume I have arrived.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Its a badge of honor if you have lived well.

And, it beats the heck out of the alternative ..................

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:40 PM
Serf

Finally got round to putting on render/stucco. (Cement and sand 1:4 mix) hopefully this will now waterproof it for future winters.

Now to look into paints and tiles for surrounding areas. Then I can put up a picture. Doesn't look the most aesthetic thing at moment.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
On your path to making your oven resistant to the elements you might seriously consider a waterproof door/cover at the entrance to the oven. The outer entrance so the entrance hearth is protected. Once rained on the water quickly wicks into the insulation.
Your never going to stop tithe bricks naturally taking up water from the air but that nothing really that a few good fires will sort out.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-22-2014, 07:10 AM
Serf

Can I use any paint on this oven? Or does it need to be special. I bought masonary paint. Which I assume is fine ontop of render stucco.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofypr View Post
Can I use any paint on this oven? Or does it need to be special. I bought masonary paint. Which I assume is fine ontop of render stucco.
G'day
That's great, that's what is made for. Manufacturers instructions usually say to leave it for a while for fresh cement and brick which is not a bad thing as the oven will contain a certain amount of moisture for a while yet.
Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 05-04-2014, 11:48 AM
Serf

Hey all. Lit fire today. The floor temperature reading with rod was 480degrees celcius.

Oven back on track. Pizza was awesome.

When I work out how to post pictures I will.

Thanks a mill for help.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Give it several firings before painting it otherwise you may have trouble with the paint blistering.
sdsrn likes this.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:35 PM
Peasant

Even if you don't fire give the finish a bit to dry before paint.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Pizza oven problem?

Quote:
"transitioning into old timer territory"
Getting back to this, I am always mystified why the young tradies don't take advantage of the old farts, tradesmen, craftsmen and their exquisite skills that took often 40 to 50 years to develop.
I have experienced on numerous occasions where old tradies take all their skills to the grave just because family members and fellow workers aren't interested in their skills which are the lost often forever, as they will not be found in books but only handed on by word of mouth.
I love spending time with old craftspeople, showing genuine interest, asking questions and discussing alternatives, often with incredible responses from them.

Neill
UtahBeehiver likes this.

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 05-05-2014, 06:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanneill View Post
Getting back to this, I am always mystified why the young tradies don't take advantage of the old farts, tradesmen, craftsmen and their exquisite skills that took often 40 to 50 years to develop.
I have experienced on numerous occasions where old tradies take all their skills to the grave just because family members and fellow workers aren't interested in their skills which are the lost often forever, as they will not be found in books but only handed on by word of mouth.
I love spending time with old craftspeople, showing genuine interest, asking questions and discussing alternatives, often with incredible responses from them.

Neill
That's a conundrum. And what you say is partially true. However....

The problem is not always about the young tradesmans lack of effort. Sometimes, there are more experienced guys that are unwilling to teach. There are older tradesman stuck in their ways, unwilling to change with the times, or adapt their techniques to modern construction. When those that have the " I've done it this way for 30 years so don't question me", attitude...all they do is perpetuate a stuck in the mud, one dimensional view. And there are an awful lot of those types.

I have worked with a lot of old tradesman, and like I mentioned earlier, a few of I would consider them to be Master Craftsman. A common trait a TRUE master possesses, is the desire to teach, and yet they can still learn and apply new techniques and methods. And, it's not simply because they want to pass on exactly what they know or how they do things to another...it's because they care about the bigger picture, which is preserving quality.
ATK406 and Greenman like this.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Last edited by stonecutter; 05-06-2014 at 04:16 AM.