Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 07:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Pizza oven problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone View Post
Here in South Oz, we don't use the terms interchangeably.
When we speak of render, we generally mean a smooth exterior coating of cement/lime/sand mixture that is trowelled flat.
When we speak of stucco, especially if the guy holding the trowel is of Italian (Molfettese) descent, we are generally speaking of textured exterior finishes.

Wiki says stucco was traditionally textured for appearance, then the definition of cement render is so similar its all the same stuff as far as I can see.

In any case, being an Aussie, I'd render an igloo shaped oven, not stucco it.
Whether you are Aussie or not, stucco and rendering are the same thing....in your case, the meaning of the word changes but not the true definition of what is being done.

Internationally, they mean the same thing....being international forum is the reason for the earlier post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 04-17-2014, 08:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Whether you are Aussie or not, stucco and rendering are the same thing....in your case, the meaning of the word changes but not the true definition of what is being done.

Internationally, they mean the same thing....being international forum is the reason for the earlier post.
G'day
Your not wrong about the international thing. I was in a discussion on stand sizes and deliberately didnt start quoting measurements cause it was in ins and ft. Gulf started quoting sizes and I could visually see in my mind the sizes without converting them. Creepy I haven't used imperial since a kid in the 70s when Aust changed to metric
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-18-2014, 05:57 AM
Journeyman

Quote:

Interesting discussion. We have always called it "parging". I had never heard the term "rendering" until I came on here. It took me a bit of time until I figured out what that meant. And "stucco" was always a decorative masonry cladding (w/texture) that was applied to exteriors of homes, etc. That's one of the fun things about a forum like this that is virtually worldwide, the terminology, slang, etc. It's all good! But.....I'll keep "parging".

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 04-18-2014, 08:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I know parging as a thin masonry coating too,and use the expression.

The difference is, the term parge is not normally used to describe a decorative finish, but as a rough coat or a back coat on veneer work.

When I build with mortar, I'll parge the backs of the stone as I go, so as not to leave voids into the cavity or the bed mortar. I parge the stone even when there is no cavity, because it functions like burning thinset onto tile...so the back filled mortar forms a better bond to the stone through the parge.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin

Last edited by stonecutter; 04-18-2014 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:39 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
I know parging as a thin masonry coating too,and use the expression.

The difference is, the term parge is not normally used to describe a decorative finish, but as a rough coat or a back coat on veneer work.

When I build with mortar, I'll parge the backs of the stone as I go, so as not to leave voids into the cavity or the bed mortar. I parge the stone even when there is no cavity, because it functions like burning thinset onto tile...so the back filled mortar forms a better bond to the stone through the parge.
Yeah, it's kind of like "backbuttering" tile. Although I have nowhere near the experience you do, it's funny, I do the same thing. I usually burn a bit of mortar on the wall where the stone is going to bond, then immediately set the stone, so it bonds good. Now I feel better, knowing I'm doing it right. I knew I was, but it's nice to see it said by someone w/your experience. I guess I did learn a thing or two working w/all those oldtimers when I was still wet behind the ears as a greenhorn.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 04-18-2014, 12:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Why how old are you? I'm transitioning into old timer territory

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 04-18-2014, 01:15 PM
Journeyman

I'll be 60 in June, so I guess I am, too. Of course, now that I'm older, the new old timers are in their 80's. Funny how it keeps shifting a decade as we get closer. My "old timers" comment was not directed at you. Hope you didn't take it that way. I have no clue as to your age. I was just fortunate when I was younger to work w/quite a few of older craftsmen and I learned alot. But, only because I paid attention and was a human sponge, soaking up as much knowledge as I could. Not just in masonry, but w/construction in general.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMan View Post
I'll be 60 in June, so I guess I am, too. Of course, now that I'm older, the new old timers are in their 80's. Funny how it keeps shifting a decade as we get closer. My "old timers" comment was not directed at you. Hope you didn't take it that way. I have no clue as to your age. I was just fortunate when I was younger to work w/quite a few of older craftsmen and I learned alot. But, only because I paid attention and was a human sponge, soaking up as much knowledge as I could. Not just in masonry, but w/construction in general.
Haha.... no lad, comments about my age don't bother me a bit. Likewise I have been fortunate to grow up and work around a solid group, many of which I think of as masters of their craft. That is what I strive for too...assurance of my ability within my chosen field.

Btw, I'm 42.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 04-18-2014, 02:58 PM
Journeyman

So....if you're 42 and "transitioning into old timer territory", I have no choice but to assume I have arrived.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Its a badge of honor if you have lived well.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin