Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 07:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Oven floor height, opinions please

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
One more thought - think about the door height relative to your eyes. It's really nice not to have to bend over too much to look into your oven. Now that I think about it, that's probably a more important consideration for me than the height for the peel. Not sure how heavy those pizzas are that Chip is making, but that hasn't bothered me . If I had to bend over for 15 minutes to watch the rice on a paella to make sure it doesn't burn - now that would bother me!
It is not the pizzas I make, I like the less is better method, but my guests- more cheese, more sausage, more onion, more bacon, more, more, more, more....

Make yourself a nice window door. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...oor-18303.html (Window for Oven Door)

Last edited by mrchipster; 08-20-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
I cook the paella with a live fire. I've taken to cooking a whole bunch of different chicken and rice dishes in a paella pan. You get this really moist chicken with crispy skin, and super flavorful rice. But, I digress. Guess I should have a "what's cooking" thread!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:06 AM
Master Builder

Red face Re: Oven floor height, opinions please

Bob
ok, I lied. My floor is 44.5" not 47". I was thinking my base was 36"

My elbow is about 45" from floor for me. I have to bend somewhat to see the back of the oven. But not at at all for most oven work. I also like the higher floor because i have kids around. Here is my setup: a 34" block and concrete base, 5.5" of vcrete, 2.5" of FB board, and 2.5" of firebrick.

Texman

Old 08-21-2013, 01:19 PM
Laborer

Lots to think about with just this one little detail. It's probably a good thing that I have to spend a little time away from my project, as it will give me a little time to ponder, instead of just forging ahead. Looks like some more scale drawings are in my future. It seems to me that it would be ideal when standing up straight that my line of sight would reach almost into the center of the oven, and if I want to look further back I could just lower my head a little. I'm pushing 60 here, and if I am still able to stand up straight after building this oven, I don't want to have to bend over to use it. I know that other people might use the oven, but I am sure that I will be the one using it at least 90% of the time.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:40 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post
Well, no turning back now. I poured my foundation slab Saturday. It went quite well, not a pretty as it could be. No one will ever know!

My question is about the height of the oven floor. I have two easy possibilities using either 4 or 4.5 courses of block 38.5 or 42.. 38.5 seems a little low to me I don't want to have to stoop over a bunch. I am thinking that 42 would be good. Those of you who have been using your oven for some time, can you tell me how high your oven floor is from the ground? Do you wish it was lower, or higher, or is it just right. I am average height 5'9. Thank you.
I'm a newbie! 5'7". I imagine doing most of my cooking sitting down talking with friends who will also be sitting. For that reason having hearth floor at about 30" so we can all see inside. Looks like everybody else cooks standing though! Why is that?
Old 08-30-2013, 12:08 PM
Journeyman

There is no sitting or waiting while cooking pizza! There is almost constant monitoring and turning and positioning the pizza!

Unless you are doing bread or slow-cooked stews.

You can sit when you eat!

I am only an inch and half taller than you and I still wish my floor height was a bit higher....
Old 08-30-2013, 01:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastman View Post
I'm a newbie! 5'7". I imagine doing most of my cooking sitting down talking with friends who will also be sitting. For that reason having hearth floor at about 30" so we can all see inside. Looks like everybody else cooks standing though! Why is that?
I think you get used to whatever height you've built to. My own is only 34" (I'm 5'7") I built it a bit low because it is off the end of my deck. It happens to be just the right height to see right into for people sitting at the table, ie their eye level is above the oven floor level. Everyone can see the pizzas cooking, we love that. After cooking and eating, we also sometimes sit around the oven when it's cooler and solve the worlds problems, you can't easily do that if the oven is higher. Can't say the working height bothers me during cooking, although I think if it were higher the radiant heat from the oven plus tropical summer temps might be too much because it would be more at face level.

Last edited by david s; 08-31-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Laborer

OK- I'm the odd man out here- not the first or last time. I used to be 6'3" and my oven floor is 25" (Oh My!). Build yours whatever height works for you. You are the one that's going to be enjoying it.

First, I have a nice view and I didn't want to intrude on it with a monolith.
Second, I have a covered patio/breezeway around my house and sitting by a fire/heat source when its raining or snowing in winter is a pleasurable thing to do.
The only drawback is I need a stove pipe to get it above roofline. I'd rather not but that's the give and take.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:44 PM
Serf

I'm 5'6" and the oven is 45" from the floor. It's quite comfortable for me. My husband is 6'5" and it's okay for him too, although he'd probably have made it higher if he were the only cook. Our table is a little way from the oven, but we can see the fire in the oven while sitting at the table.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Master Builder

I am 5'10" and the floor of my oven is 40" or 1.020. Works fine for me and with seated eye height for me being 4' or 1.220 from the patio people get something like a worms eye view of the mesmerising flames. Interesting how it either rouses them into deep conversation or deep silence.

It works for me and if I were to have a choice of higher or lower I would probably leave it where it is.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics