Old 09-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Oven Door Material

Les, Thanks
Old 09-10-2009, 05:29 AM
Laborer

Well, I found a lovely old oak floorboard and made a wooden door in the time honored fashion of nailing 2 layers of tongue & groove at 90 degrees to each other (except I used modern screws instead of iron nails) - It's about 2" thick and seems to retain heat very effectively even though there is no insulating sandwich. I'm not sure if I'll add a handle at a later date, we'll see how it goes...

Oven Door Material-oven_57.jpg

Oven Door Material-oven_58.jpg

Oven Door Material-oven_59.jpg

Oven Door Material-oven_60.jpg

Oven Door Material-oven_61.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Perry,,

Love the way the door looks with your oven,, very nice.... Maybe just a bent piece of wrought Iron for a handle,, Do you plan on soaking it before you use it ?

Mark
Old 09-10-2009, 05:49 AM
Laborer

Thanks Mark,

I have a pile of old iron farming tools I'll rummage through to see if anything is suitable, I'm sure something will grab my attention.

I read earlier in the post about soaking the door - you learn something new every day! - It is bone dry and rock solid right now, I think it will absorb moisture over the coming months but I might soak it a bit to start it off. I don't know if constantly soaking/ drying timber is a good idea though. I left enough room around the inner arch for expansion due to moisture so hopefully that won't be a problem...

Old 09-10-2009, 08:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Your welcome perry,

soaking the door not only keeps it from burning but produces steam which "I understand" is very good for baking bread....

Mark
Old 09-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryPizza View Post
... I don't know if constantly soaking/ drying timber is a good idea though. ...
neither is using it to hold in extremely high heat...

fwiw, I intend to do the same thing. Even if I have to replace the door every season or two, it makes more sense to me than going high-tech.

Last edited by cynon767; 09-10-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Laborer

Unless the door goes up in smoke, which seems unlikely, I think the door should last as long as the oven... I don't see any problem with woodworm, and a good bit of char should prove an excellent wood-preserver

Old 09-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

my first door went up in smoke !!!! BUT it was just plywood with one sheet of Lt, gauge metal and I probably put it on while the oven was too hot, I wanted to see how hot it would hold overnight,,, In the morning there was a pile of ashes, It did provide me with a good laugh and a good lesson
Old 09-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Laborer

Glad you laughed, it's the best policy in a situation like that!

Old 09-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Apprentice

Actually, that made me laugh as I could picture it happening to me.

I was thinking of using 1x6 and 2x6 red cedar, laying it 90 degrees to each other with screws as well. This will give me a door over 2" thick and cedar soaks well.