Old 03-05-2008, 11:57 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Newbie List of Questions

Tysen...........there are a lot of options for building a low cost oven (especially if it is only intended to last a couple of years). Have a look around site. The answers are here. CarlUK is building a great low cost oven and John Fahle and his Texas crew are making an adobe one.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

f you build a temporary oven now it means you'll get a lot of practice, so the definite oven will turn out all the better. And If you plan it all carefully, you'll just be able to re-use the same materials...

As a builder who has fnished the only oven I'm ever likely to build, the idea of being able to do everything all oven again in a couple of years time has a distinct fascination...
Old 03-06-2008, 04:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Rather than a block stand, it might be worth looking into making a five-leg metal stand with the slab poured within it. This could be picked up by fork lift and moved--very carefully.

Jim
Old 03-06-2008, 07:25 AM
Journeyman

Keep the cost down with recycled materials and consider this as a good practice. It will give you experience in both building and cooking with a WFO. Then when you move you will be ready to build a top notch oven from what you have learned. You will be ready to make the investment in time and money to create an oven that is ideal for how you use it.
Build one now, and when you are ready for the big time.....order one from Forno Bravo. ( shameless plug for a great host )
Old 03-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Serf

Wow, what a welcoming forum. Thanks very much for all your suggestions and ideas.

I'll keep you posted on what I come up with.

Tysen
Old 03-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tysen, you ask and you will receive.

Acoma's Tuscan:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Serf

So CarlUk got me thinking. (always dangerous)

I saw his fireclay oven. Is there a reason why you couldn't make a brick shaped mold, form the wet clay mix in one and then place the wet, formable brick in the necessary order to create the dome? Or a variation on that theme, use the Rutland castable refractory concrete in the same way?

Additionally I've been thinking a bit about the entry arch. Is there a reason why one couldn't take a terracota chimney liner and cut to form the arch? You could likewise cut the chimney vent in the top?

Just askin'
Old 03-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You're thinking towards a positive solution....the arch idea can work, but remember, you have the dome opening to blend. DMUN and others will interject better feedback.

Acoma's Tuscan:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBM66 View Post
Additionally I've been thinking a bit about the entry arch. Is there a reason why one couldn't take a terracota chimney liner and cut to form the arch? You could likewise cut the chimney vent in the top?

Just askin'

I've been contemplating a smaller, interim oven design myself, using ideas from the one above (found in another thread) as well as things from the Pompeii & Alan Scott designs. I'm afraid a full-blown oven isn't in the cards for me this summer.

So.....
Old 03-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I can't imagine that you can get more than one small pizza in this oven. Looks cool, but if you want to really cook, I don't think this one will suit your needs. I still think a mobile or adobe oven is a good short term choice for you.

-