Old 03-29-2010, 06:31 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: New project-existing slab question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil2 View Post
If you are building on an existing slab, you may want to consider a construction joint around the perimeter of the new works.

The additional weight will cause some settlement. This settlement may be slight but will almost certainly cause cracking in the slab. The construction joint will control where the cracking occurs.

You can form the joint by using a straight edge and a thin cutting wheel on an angle grinder. For concrete, cut about 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep.
Neil2
Should I add the construction joint just around wfo base? or around the areas where the block foundation will be for the counter/cabinet as well. I am planning on flagstone of concrete for counter tops-so wil add some weight.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:47 PM
Master Builder

Smile Re: New project-existing slab question

seeing if my signature works-sorry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"Should I add the construction joint just around wfo base? or around the areas where the block foundation will be for the counter/cabinet as well."

For the amount of time involved, you may as well put it around everything. It is difficult to control slab cracking, you may also get cracks radiating out at a a 45 degree angle from the outside corners of your new works.

Last edited by Neil2; 03-31-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
Tex,

Welcome! Looks like a great project, and I love the curved counter.

Have you considered covering the patio first? It appears that any runoff might collect and pool around the inside of your counter, and the shade benefits of a cover goes a long way, not to mention the advantage of lights for night work.

Looking forward to seeing your project take shape.

John
Trying to figure ou the best materials/method for the curved counters. I am thinking metal stud/hardibacker is best? But the backer is rigid. Do you kerf the backer board to give it some flex or is there another material?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tex,

I am not qualified to advise on this, although I believe I have seen a few builds that do it the way you have described: metals studs, hardibacker and whatever cladding you desire - stucco, tile, brick. I know Breven on this site did a curved oven stand out of cocncrete block that he covered in brick that came out wonderfully. You can also check out some builds here:

BBQ Source Forums (Powered by Invision Power Board)

John
Old 04-23-2010, 08:04 AM
Master Builder

Working on the roof for the kitchen area, so no oven work for a while. I am meeting a roofer to hopefully get some ideas. I have a roof mess as you can see from photos. My plan is to support the roof area with the 4x4 and sheath them later with cedar for appearance. The bottom 3 feet of the column would be bricked for appearance and stability. Is there a problem with the wood supports adjacent to the outside of the oven area? I dont think that is a problem. This roof thing is a pain. Got the HF saw and want to work on that stuff, oh well. It will be nice to be dry if i can figure out the roof.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Texman,

Excellent looking drawings. Did you do them in Sketchup? I envy the cabinet space you have provided for and the counter space you have will really come in handy. (The more space you can put assistants to work on.)

Your outside post is perfect since no one will be hanging around the outside of the BBQ anyway. If you're going to sheath it in 1" cedar I bet you could wire a horizontal spot light for your BBQ into it.

Not sure what your finished countertop material will be, but you might want to consider incorporating a small bar on top of your backsplash.

John
Old 04-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
Texman,

Excellent looking drawings. Did you do them in Sketchup? I envy the cabinet space you have provided for and the counter space you have will really come in handy. (The more space you can put assistants to work on.)

Your outside post is perfect since no one will be hanging around the outside of the BBQ anyway. If you're going to sheath it in 1" cedar I bet you could wire a horizontal spot light for your BBQ into it.

Not sure what your finished countertop material will be, but you might want to consider incorporating a small bar on top of your backsplash.

John
Yes, it is sketchup. That was fun <kinda> My wife likes the room too, already figuring out stuff she can store out there. I considered using steel posts so i would have the hollow to run wiring for lites, speakers, etc. But i think i can figure that out with the wood. Too hard to sheath a steel post anyway. The plan for countertops is concrete as of now. Since i am trying to keep the radius, and i dont want to pay for granite, seem kinda the only option. Dont know a thing about concrete counters other than i have seen some that look great. I plan to use block for the base counter covered in brick and have the brick on the outside edge come up two courses higher for a backsplash and bar heighth area. MAke sense? Concrete there as well. I am still considering maybe flagstone for countertops. But that has grout/mortar joints taht can be sealed. solid surface sounds better, but i think flagstone would be easier. So many choices, but this is so much fun.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Laborer

Just thinking about your electrical and splitting that 220V line. Unless that is a 4 wire circuit you really shouldn't split that into two circuits. You need 2 conductors for the circuit (a hot and a neutral) and 1 for the ground. A second ground rod is also not really recommended. Take everything back to the main circuit box. You've no doubt got at least a number 10 wire for an old dryer hookup. You can replace the double pole breaker with a 20 amp single pole 110V GFI breaker and have a 20 amp circuit outside. That should power just about anything you'd ever need out there.

You'll also want to install 20 amp 110V receptacles. Run a piece of conduit around the patio and install several receptacles — make them convenient, you've got plenty of juice to supply them.

Last edited by lwalper; 04-23-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwalper View Post
Just thinking about your electrical and splitting that 220V line. Unless that is a 4 wire circuit you really shouldn't split that into two circuits. You need 2 conductors for the circuit (a hot and a neutral) and 1 for the ground. A second ground rod is also not really recommended. Take everything back to the main circuit box. You've no doubt got at least a number 10 wire for an old dryer hookup. You can replace the double pole breaker with a 20 amp single pole 110V GFI breaker and have a 20 amp circuit outside. That should power just about anything you'd ever need out there.

You'll also want to install 20 amp 110V receptacles. Run a piece of conduit around the patio and install several receptacles make them convenient, you've got plenty of juice to supply them.
Thanks for the info. I knew the way i did that wasnt the best way, trying to shortcut and probably shouldnt risk with electricity. Do i need breakers in the outside box since the main board will have them? I take the problem with my initial config was the lack of ground wire. Also, the existing run is aluminum #6 i think and butt spliced it to #6 copper. So doing it right makes sense, just not going to be easy and doesnt cook pizza. Since i am taking your advice and redoing the run, i am thinking i will make two runs and have two separate 110v circuits, just in case. just not sure if i need the breaker in main box and also in outdoor box.