Old 05-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: New Project.

The heat that slate and granite counters are subjected to are very brief. Also, the only way it us used for fireplaces is for the surround..not the box. Even soapstone tile won't last...it will if it is thicker than 2" though.

If you use tile and slate for the oven surfaces
, you will add it to your demolition experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 05-22-2013, 12:35 PM
Peasant

Hi Stonecutter, Yes I see that now. Complete rethink required. Thanks for your input.
I am now going to try and source some of the fire bricks used in old night storage heaters here in the UK, I will use them for the floor and sides. I haven't decided on the arch yet. Any low cost suggestions welcomed. Ordinary firebricks are really expensive here.
Thanks
Nick
Old 05-22-2013, 11:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenchn View Post
I am now going to try and source some of the fire bricks used in old night storage heaters here in the UK, I will use them for the floor and sides.
This one comes up from time to time and there have been a few builds on here about them, they never get back to us about how they went though.

As far as Im aware the bricks inside electric storage heaters are made from portland cement based concrete, sure they will hold the heat for a storage heater but if they are made from normal concrete they will spall very rapidly with the direct flame and heat of a wood fired oven.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:32 AM
Peasant

Hi Al,
I used this type of brick for the floor of my first oven with no problems, so I'm hoping they will be OK.
I have got to find some first!!
Thanks
Nick
Old 05-23-2013, 02:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

When you say that you are undecided on the arch, do you mean what to do for the form? If so, it doesn't get much cheaper than sand.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin