Old 10-26-2013, 04:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: New Member- New build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisdad View Post
Thanks for the compliments Stonecutter.

The stone is a local rock. I had to stop for a road crew one day and figured out where they dumped it. I went back and got tons and tons of it. Some of the rocks were over 300 pounds as you can see in post #5. I'll seal it after I wash it again.
Ahh...shot rock. Your laying it up well....an organic layup is better than chiseling it, there are bound to be lots of hidden fissures created by the blast....causing bad breaks on the last chisel hit.

A good penetrating sealer should do trick. I'm not sure whats available to you, but shoot me a PM if you want some recommendations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 10-26-2013, 04:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisdad View Post

I think you answered my very first question of my first post. I was concerned with thermal expansion but I think you are referring to water infiltration. Good point and thanks for the heads up. Do you have any product information on the seam tape you would use?

thanks-
Calisdad
I haven't gone back to your first pages yet, I'll take a look. Yes, my post was about water infiltration along the cold joint of your dome finish and the travertine.

Kerdi-Band ( Schluter), or Durock tile backer tape....anything alkali-resistant. Same thing for liquid memebrane.

I think the liquid membrane is the better choice.....when turning the diameter of the oven, it will be difficult to avoid wrinkling the tape, which could create a place for water penetration.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 10-26-2013, 04:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It appears that you left about 1/4"-3/8" space between the oven brick and the travertine. Did you leave it open or fill it with the insulation mix?

It should be fine either way, the only way it might tent the tile is if there were something solid filling in the space...like mortar, thin-set, grout or concrete.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 10-27-2013, 07:28 AM
Laborer

Thanks mirassou. I found travertine easy to work with. Much softer than granite.

[IMG][/IMG]

Stonecutter I ended up using Eternabond tape. Its made for RV roofs and is very sticky like bituthene.
Its backed with vinyl so it should act as a slipsheet and direct any crack to the cold joint.

I live in the foothills and winter and spring storms drop a lot of rock on the roads.
The crews usually stockpile it so we visit the piles and glean a lot of landscape rock.
This wasn't blasted but it is on the soft side.
Easy to work with as I only cut about 10 pieces on the whole install.

I need to finish the firebrick still.
I want to eliminate any horizontal surfaces that would pool water.

I had to drill a few extra holes for the pencil rod but I'm happy with how tight it went on.
I'd recommend installing wire between the firebrick to anyone planning to use stucco lath.

Last edited by Calisdad; 10-27-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Laborer

[IMG][/IMG]

Wire is on and ready for 1st coat. Just tie it on and tighten with needle nose pliers until it sings.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I wish I had access to talus that looked like that....bonus that it is soft too. Usually stone with iron oxide is hard and does a number on chisels.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 10-30-2013, 08:06 PM
Laborer

[IMG][/IMG]

Finally had our clearing fire tonight. Ran 2 milk crates of oak thru it. Outside was 80 to 110 degrees.
Hearth brick was 220
and adjacent travertine tile was 110 with 1/8" air gap. Under slab was 70.
My wife decided to cook some sausages for dinner. :-D

Scratch coat tomorrow.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:14 AM
Journeyman

Looking great!! You're going to have to change the title of your thread soon - no longer a "new member with a new build"!!
Old 11-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Laborer

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks boerwarrior. Go ahead and pick a title and I'll change it. lol

Scratch is done. Not satisfied with the chimney transition tho. I have 8" on for a temporary flue.
My 6" came yesterday. I think I need a big piece of flagstone for a lid,
just put a 6" hole in it and call it a lid. :-D We will see.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

That would look cool, though you may want to somehow buffer the stone with insulation, and not set it directly on the vent brick. Or use soapstone...that would look awesome IMO.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin