Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2014, 12:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: New build in SW Arizona

Nice take on brick jig. One thing I learned, don't cut you whole course at once, may 6 or 7 bricks, then see how they fit and make adjustments as needed. Also, do you best work on the back half of the dome, ie staggered joints, best brick faces. The back half is all people see after all said and done.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:14 PM
Peasant

Thanks for the advice Russ, I grew up helping my father build masonry fireplaces as a side job, and he taught me about concrete and block work also. I plan on starting my first course out at the entrance and working towards the back, and reversing the process on the second course by starting at the back. I hope this will eliminate "sliver" bricks mid course, which to me are visually unappealing.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sounds like a plan.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 07-29-2014, 12:58 PM
Peasant

Hi gang,
Had a day off today, so I thought I would devote some more time to the WFO. I was able to cut my FB board (which was slightly damaged and were of different thicknesses by almost 1/4 inch) ,but que sera sera!! time for lemonade!!! I also cut my dome floor and arch template. As I noticed the FB board is slightly compressible, I'm going to load the floor template over the high spot with some bricks to bring it to the height of the rest of the floor. Questions, comments, advice, critiques are always welcome
Attached Thumbnails
New build in SW Arizona-fb-n-brick1.jpg   New build in SW Arizona-fb-n-brick2.jpg   New build in SW Arizona-base-n-arch-2.jpg   New build in SW Arizona-base-n-arch-3.jpg  
Old 07-29-2014, 05:10 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrorrt View Post
Hi gang,
Had a day off today, so I thought I would devote some more time to the WFO. I was able to cut my FB board (which was slightly damaged and were of different thicknesses by almost 1/4 inch) ,but que sera sera!! time for lemonade!!! I also cut my dome floor and arch template. As I noticed the FB board is slightly compressible, I'm going to load the floor template over the high spot with some bricks to bring it to the height of the rest of the floor. Questions, comments, advice, critiques are always welcome
Just came across your build, your off to a good start. Cool idea on the smoke house, looking forward to watching the progress. Very nice block work.

I used the FB board also and it also was damaged and of varying thickness. I complained, and FB sent more. Which ended up being a big plus for me.

You ask for critiques not a critic. I hope this is well taken and not me being critical. Your oven opening seems like the width is not very wide and the height over the 63% golden rule. It might just being a optical illusion. I wish mine was a little lower.

Ps,
Don't make the same mistake I did and try to flatten the high spot with a piece of 2X4 and a hammer....

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 07-29-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:56 PM
Peasant

KB,
It does look tall doesn't it. I thought the same thing after I stood it up there. I used the dome spreadsheet calculator, and that's what it came up with for a 40" oven 13.6 inches I have it at 13 5/8, which is 13.625,and it's the same width. So it hits the 63% rule perfectly, just weird how it looks off tho, Thanks for the input, really appreciate it, I tried to talk the boss into a full radius arch, but was vetoed ....so off to the races I guess.
Jeff
Again, thanks for the input and feedback
Old 07-29-2014, 06:01 PM
Peasant

Still at the stage where I can make the opening wider......what say you oh gurus of the WFO world?
Old 07-29-2014, 06:03 PM
Journeyman

I was thinking maybe you might want to go wider. That's fairly narrow.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 07-29-2014, 06:31 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrorrt View Post
KB,
It does look tall doesn't it. I thought the same thing after I stood it up there. I used the dome spreadsheet calculator, and that's what it came up with for a 40" oven 13.6 inches I have it at 13 5/8, which is 13.625,and it's the same width. So it hits the 63% rule perfectly, just weird how it looks off tho, Thanks for the input, really appreciate it, I tried to talk the boss into a full radius arch, but was vetoed ....so off to the races I guess.
Jeff
Again, thanks for the input and feedback
I'm Pretty sure of my calculations are correct????, I also did a 40" and 63% of a 20" radius is 12.6"...... I think I ended up about 21" with IT at 1" above floor. I still wish it was lower. Bottom of my pizza's cook faster than top......Just my opinion, wondering what everyone else thinks?

KB

Old 07-30-2014, 07:12 AM
Journeyman

I have a 32 inch. Width of the opening is 16 inches and highest point on the opening is 10 inches.

I am very happy with the balance between top and bottom cooking.