Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Peasant

Default Re: new adobe oven plan - pls comment

he, that looks great!

How easy was it to keep a good fire going and get the dome to temperatur?

I found that having a steel firedoor really helps the chimney drawing and keeps the black stuff off your door opening.

Here are two pictures of mine. (it needs some insulatation on the fire side because the wooden handle starts to burn)

The surface area of the slot is identical to the surface area of the chimney.

M.
Attached Thumbnails
new adobe oven plan - pls comment-dsc_1737.jpg   new adobe oven plan - pls comment-dsc_1744.jpg  
Old 05-17-2012, 04:07 PM
Serf

I am still waiting for the IR thermometer I ordered...
I had the fire for an hour or more... When I put the first pizza in the oven semolina from the peel burst into flames :-) so I think may be the floor was too hot.
I didn't time how long the pizza was in the oven, but I could see the crust spring like someone was inflating it :-)

Your arch looks so much better than mine :-)

What did you use for the fire door material? is it just plate of steel? how did you cut it?
Old 05-17-2012, 05:44 PM
Peasant

It is really funny that our projects are so in sync: I am also still waiting for my IR thermometer ;-) I did a test with rack of lamb and veggies after a long drying-session, it was delicious. If the weather holds I might try the first pizza tomorrow night.

I use an oven tray (from the landfill shop) for the fire door. I cut in the corners and then hammered the sides flat. I used a normal angle grinder.

The oven pan is made out of non-galvanized steel. It is painted but I reckoned even if the paint burns off , the fumes would not be to deadly as it is supposed to be a food container, right? ;-) (yes, I realise that is not logical, a domestic oven does not go above 250c but I don't think that after a couple of burns any nasty things will get in the food)

To insulate it, i think i will somehow mount another sheet in front of it, maybe by folding the edges over and fill the gap between the sheets with pumice or clay/sawdust mixture.

Maybe for the fire door the pumice is not needed and just two sheets of metal are enough to prevent the door handle from charing. You could also put the handle on pieces of thread or long bolts so the wood does not touch the metal.

I was considering these thick, sturdy aluminium BBQ plates you can get at the supermarket, but aluminium might continue to give off fumes when super heated, so perhaps not such a good idea.

Matt
Old 05-18-2012, 06:00 AM
Serf

would you share the lamb recipe? I have a bunch of people over tomorrow, would be nice.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:13 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by h&t View Post
would you share the lamb recipe? I have a bunch of people over tomorrow, would be nice.
Recipe, he? ;-)
I think i even followed some remarks from this forum:
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f12/...html#post27680 (Rack of Lamb, Potatoes and Creme Brulee)

rub the rack with a mixture of lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and rosemary and just stick it in an oven tray. No need to pan fry the outside first to get that caramelisation, the heat in the oven will do that fine.

Like the other post said, cover it after 15 min and then let if sit in the oven for another 10-15 (depending how red you like it)

good luck!