Old 04-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Need advice on making an indoor kitchem oven

I can't imagine trying to cool my house in the summer. 95 degrees with 150% humidity (ok, a very slight exageration) AND an indoor pizza oven.....I'd burn up an AC unit once a month, or my house would never cool below about 85 degrees.
Nice thought, though.

RT
Old 04-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Journeyman

I would really love to build an indoor/outdoor oven with the door in the kitchen and the dome etc outside. Space saving, unless you had an enormous kitchen would probably be an issue. Even a small oven demands a lot of area. CJim maybe has knowledge of heat issues indoors.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Serf

Thanks for all the advice! I am a bit worried about the heat too, but the actual oven would be outside just the opening would be inside...I am concerned about the materials used to construct the exsisting the structure its a wood structure with cement board and stucco... I'm worried the oven will get too hot and wood won't be able to handle the heat...even with a properly insulated oven. do you think thats a valid concern or will the stucco and the oven construction keep heat from reaching the wooden studs?
Old 04-04-2008, 01:44 PM

It's just like building a fireplace, in fact the same building code applies. You have to maintain strict clearance to combustibles, footings, chimney height, everything.

If I remember my building code, there has to be 12 inches of solid masonry between the firebox and any wood, like mantlepieces. You can't do anything in your house without your building inspector. S/He will tell you exactly what you need to do to meet code.

A properly insulated oven will have very little heat around it's enclosure or flue. That doesn't mean you don't have to keep required clearances.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

You definitely can install a wood-fired oven indoors, as long as you follow the building codes from your local building and/or fire department and keep them in involved in the process. The Casa and Premio ovens have passed the UL737, UL2162 and NSF tests and we are awaiting a final (no really) site inspection for label adhesion (no really) -- and the new Casa installation guide outlines the UL fire, building safety and operation standards, including setbacks from combustibles, ventilation and setbacks from the oven opening.

We cannot post the manual on FB.com for general release until our listing is complete, but I think it will be useful when it becomes available. It will be a good guideline. Of course it will simplify things for FB oven buyers. :-)

In terms of heat inside the house, the insulation does a good job of holding heat inside the oven, and the only heat you will feel is at the door. We had a site-built oven at our old house (which passed the inspectors), and we used it all the time.

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:56 AM
Serf

How did your oven work out? I'm installing now and am a bit concerned about the heat output.. I live in MA on the coast... fairly cool most of the year. Frankly , I wouldn't mind having my windows open in January! Any smoke issues?
Kat
Old 12-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

I have owned an indoor wood oven, and enjoyed it hugely. If you take care to properly insulate your oven (following the FB installation guides), you will feel no heat output -- other than through the oven opening. A well-designed wood oven vents extremely well, and puts out a lot less smoke than a fireplace.

James

Old 12-03-2009, 08:08 AM
Serf

Thanks James... sort of did a last minute "OMG what have I done!" thing! The issue of the mortar has been resolved.. just took it's time hardening due to the cooler indoor temp (57-67) and humidity level here on the coast...which is a good thing. Whew! Hard as a rock now.Ready to spread 1/2 inch on the dome now. My 'chimney guy' buttered the vent piece to the dome.. told him not to..said he needed to level it.. this ok? There is one little section in the back that does not have the mortar between the pcs.
Have you ever heard of chimney tech 2000? Used to shape chimney fire boxes in the flue. Has ceramic fiber and vermiculite .. at one and 1/2 inces it provides the inuslation of 4 inches of brick... Could I use this over the insulating blanket and under the stucco finish?? It is fairly lightweight when dry. Any suggestions out there?
Kat
Hope to have pics soon... trying to reduce the file size.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Have you ever heard of chimney tech 2000?
Sounds like one of a million insulating castable refractory materials. Looks pretty pricey from a quick google search... What are you planning to do with it that you can't do with vermiculite concrete?
Old 12-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Serf

My chimney guy had it as I am not able to p/u the materials to mix myself. Came in a 5 gal. bucket... just add water in small batches. I wanted to use it over the blankets to further insulate and support my stucco (indoor oven install)