Old 04-24-2010, 10:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Neapolitan oven - lower dome height

Shuboyje,
I think you are are correct in yor assessment of the situation regarding the heat radiation. Probably the main advantage of the hemisphere apart from its inherent stability is its superior shape as a combustion chamber. Remember the Chrysler hemi heads?
Old 07-21-2010, 04:47 PM
Serf

Red face Re: Neapolitan oven - lower dome height

David S: I am wrestling with the optimal door height to dome height ratio. All over FB forum 63% is recommended & builders seem to desire a low dome height. One of your past posts contends "THE MOST EFFICIENT COMBUSTION CHAMBER IS THE HEMISPHERE" I am building a 42 inch Pompei with a 20 x 12 door entry. I kept the first three rings flat and vertical. However I am now on the sixth ring and the dome is only pitching in to a 39 inch diameter. I am raising each ring about 1/2 inch at the outside. But it appears at this rate I will end up with a higher dome--maybe 28 inches? Will this pose a cooking or heating problem? The FB manual states there are many WFO with higher domes. How is the performance? Why is there a repeatedly stated desire for the low dome height?? Should I agressively increase the chain pitch with a 3/4 inch rise at outside?? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by Glosta; 07-21-2010 at 04:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Master Builder

Glosta, what are you using as a gauge to pitch each course, such as the I-tool or a form of some sort? The entry and dome height should both be predetermined for the most part, first by deciding on dome height, then determining your entry height, at least before you start laying courses.

George

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Last edited by fxpose; 07-21-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:45 AM
Serf

George Thank you for the quick reply. Yes I am using an I-tool. Its the magnetic door stop attached to threaded rod with turnbuckle for adjustment. It produces fairly consistent measurements but the spring loaded magnets introduce some slop.

Door height is 12 inches, so I was shooting for the 22 inch interior dome. My soldier course consisted to three chains laid on the flat, vertically with no pitch. I should have started the pitch on second chain. This would have picked up ten degrees. I was initially using 3/8 inch wedges but pitch was not rising quick enough. This morning used a 3/4 inch wedge on sixth chain. This looks better. I will probably cut a 1 inch pitch into the next chain to avoid large mortar joint. Thanks again for the help.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:17 AM
Master Builder

Glosta, if you are shooting for a 22" dome you can cut out a dome profile template out of cardboard, for instance, and make adjustments to your I-tool to the template at every course level. By following the template you're guaranteed to end up at your desired dome height, or at least come very close.

George

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 07-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Remember too that the most efficient combustion chamber is the hemisphere. Any departure from it is a compromise. It's like boats, there is no perfect form. The form you choose is a compromise to suit your needs.
For pizza it would be a flat dome?
Old 07-22-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
For pizza it would be a flat dome?
A LOT of us here are successfully cooking pizza in hemispheric domes.

I think there's a certain amount of Neapolitan snobbery in the flat dome. They make a good pizza, but the horizontal forces create more of an engineering challenge than the hemisphere.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Apprentice

Hi dmun

Sure, me too. Proves that "most efficient" can be interpreted in many ways. Most convenient, least challenging, heat up time, best baking result ....... From the perspective of even heat distribution to a pizza the flat dome intuitively should give the best (most even) result.

karl
Old 07-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Only if there is no fire and you place the pizza directly below the keystone.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

"I think there's a certain amount of Neapolitan snobbery in the flat dome."

Yes indeed. Those of us with elliptical ovens (dome height = 85% to 90% of diameter) defiantly look down with scorn at you hemisphere fellows.