Old 04-23-2010, 10:43 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Neapolitan oven - lower dome height

david s;

yes, I agree about the hemisphere being more perfect, and if you follow the arguments re heating and radiated heat the perfect hemisphere is supposed to do the best job by heating more evenly and radiating in all directions.
That is why I thought the idea of lowering the focus of the sphere would achieve three aims. It would keep the nice hemispherical shape I wanted, and keep the top of the dome reasonably low, while still providing a 42" floor.

Paul
Old 04-23-2010, 10:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I agree entirely, however some folk like the vertical sides at the base, so it gives them more room at the edges. Personally I like the traditional hemisphere, it served the aancient Romans well for thousands of years, that's good enough for me and I like knowing I'm part of a long tradition. My wife and I are visiting Italy in October and amongst other things, I'm excited about visiting Pompei.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:58 PM
Laborer

you lucky bugger, make sure you bring back plenty of authentic reciepts
Old 04-23-2010, 11:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm an art teacher and we now have to keep a register for PD (30 Hrs/year)otherwise we can be de-registered. I think I will tell them to stick it and keep all my gallery receipts. That should be sufficient. After Italy in October we travel through Switzerland by rail to Provance, France for self guided cycle tour through all the van Gogh country then on to Loire valley for a week, Then on to UK and Ireland by car, return to the tropical heat of Townsville for early Dec. I'm excited!
Old 04-24-2010, 07:28 AM
Laborer

I am building a lower dome 36" oven. My diameter is 36" but my final interior height will be 15.5". I have made an indespensible tool that has an adjustment for length and I had to bend the end as well. I am working on the second course now and it seems to be working out ok. As I get into the upper courses we will see if the design works.

Member WFOAMBA
Old 04-24-2010, 08:42 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgreco View Post
I am building a lower dome 36" oven. My diameter is 36" but my final interior height will be 15.5". I have made an indespensible tool that has an adjustment for length and I had to bend the end as well. I am working on the second course now and it seems to be working out ok. As I get into the upper courses we will see if the design works.
Hi,
I have seen a few of those threaded rod, adjustable tools in use here. They seem to work. Have you calculated how much adjustment is needed on the tool for each course or are you following a template as a guide to make these adjustments?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 04-24-2010, 08:59 AM
Banned

My oven is 14 " height on inside dome and 29 wide
Old 04-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

A hemisphere focuses the heat at one point. An ellipse at two points, or in the case of an oven in a ring.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:54 PM
Laborer

Quote:
I have seen a few of those threaded rod, adjustable tools in use here. They seem to work. Have you calculated how much adjustment is needed on the tool for each course or are you following a template as a guide to make these adjustments?
I am following a template.

Member WFOAMBA
Old 04-24-2010, 09:54 PM
Journeyman

But a sphere section creates a circle, and if designed right that circle can cover almost the entire oven floor. Now mind you none of this actually matters because our rough matt yellowish fire bricks are not prefect emitters, and they do not produce perfect straight waves of radiation, they create diffused radiation like the sun on a cloudy day. If they did produce perfect radiation which oven would cook more even? Obviously the low dome oven with it's heat focused evenly over almost the entire oven floor. The hemisphere has many advantages as it is easier to build and more stable on top of the fact that the design has been proven many times over in great functioning ovens, but the even heat from a single point idea that gets thrown around here is nonsense. If that was the case you would have one hot spot in your oven and the rest would lose heat rapidly. The fact that doesn't happen shows the radiation in our ovens is highly diffused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil2 View Post
A hemisphere focuses the heat at one point. An ellipse at two points, or in the case of an oven in a ring.
Attached Thumbnails
Neapolitan oven - lower dome height-ovenshape.jpg